Cinnamon in beef stew?

Joined Sep 7, 2020
In Polish/Hungarian goulash, allspice is fairly common (and somewhat similar to cinnamon). I personally prefer to use allspice or cloves to round out savory dishes.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Anyone use cinnamon in their beef stew? I have never tried doing this; the piece of chuck I just bought came trussed with some herbs, and cinnamon. And that made me think a few cinnamon sticks might be a good addition.

Thoughts?
The cinnamon to use is "mexican" aka Ceylon cinnamon and just a tiny pinch to give it that je ne sais quoi. Saigon cinnamon is too strong and sharply flavored.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and red wine are main flavorings in the much loved Cudighi Sausage, created in Ishpeming MI, In the U.P. It's listed as a must try in any food recommendations for Michigan's U.P. Cinnamon works well with many meats, including beef.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Cinnamon is a standard ingredient in mole poblano, which is (in my opinion) why it works so well along with unsweetened cocoa in chili. Personally, I hate the combination of cinnamon with sugar, but I love a hint of cinnamon in almost anything spicy and deeply savory.

Joined May 5, 2010
There are countless recipes for beef and lamb that include heavy spice. All over the world.
I remember for my school days that using heavy spices masked the flavor of some of the meat that was used. Mutton, camel, cow,

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Very common to use cinnamon in Greek dishes. It actually goes very well with braised beef and tomato sauce.

Top Bottom