Cinnamon in beef stew?

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Anyone use cinnamon in their beef stew? I have never tried doing this; the piece of chuck I just bought came trussed with some herbs, and cinnamon. And that made me think a few cinnamon sticks might be a good addition.

Thoughts?

Joined Nov 15, 2012
There is a Portuguese braised/shredded beef dish called Chachula, pronounced casoola, whose unique flavor comes from cinnamon. Goodness but I loved Portuguese festivals just for its sake. Can't believe I never got around to making it.

Even though not asked I just have to say as it came to mind, add stout, nutmeg [and lots of butter!] to a stew, and then stick it inside a butter pie crust sarcophagus of some kind. Decadently fragrant (the butter goes right up your nose!) and delicious beyond words!

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Almost every greek restaurant I worked in had cinnamon in their bolognese/ meat sauce.... Its not that far of a jump to put cinnamon in a beef stew.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002

For some discussion.

multiple sticks is probably too much. Cinnamon needs a very light hand imho.

Last edited:
Joined May 4, 2005
I put a little in my chili. In a stew it may need some supporting flavors? Wine or tomato? I'm sure there are many cuisines who have their take on beef stew, and I guarantee some contain cinnamon.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
In Moroccan dishes like couscous or tagine you can find the combination of cinnamon and beef and it works very well. However if the roast is already trusted with cinnamon and you add "a few" sticks, that sounds like a LOT of cinnamon, unless your cinnamon is old and tasteless by now. But if it's not too old and still has plenty of taste then one stick for the entire dish (wether in the roast or in the braising liquor) should be more than enough. I usually remove the stick way before the end so it doesn't impart too much cinnamon flavor. I like the flavor to be there but not clearly identifiable either.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I got the idea for cinnamon in beef stew when I was in Jordan. I can't remember the name of the dish but, instead of beef, lamb was used and it was similar in style and prep as pot roast. It was delicious and I agree 100% with phatch phatch , a little goes a very long way.

I've made the dish a few times with both beef and lamb and literally a small piece of cinnamon in the cooking liquid is all that's needed and by "small piece", I mean about the size of a pinky finger nail. If powdered cinnamon is used, just dust a wooded spoon with it, tap off the excess and stir the liquid with it.
Also, I find that fennel instead of onions with the cinnamon really gives the stew a great depth of flavor.

Cheers.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
As I recall Cincinnati chile, basic American ground beef and beans stuff, uses both cinnamon and chocolate in the recipe.

mjb.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
I've used a bit of cinnamon (cassia) in meat sauce lasagna.
I've had "cinnamon spiked" lasagna in the past & thought "WTF is that??".
Yeah, it works.
Don't want it all the time, but it does add an interesting flavour.

Joined Oct 10, 2020
That sounds really interesting. Adding cinnamon to most things adds good flavor. I use the viet nam cinnamon on a lot of the cooking that I do. I will need to try this with beef.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I've made an Indian dish that was essentially beef stew (the Muslims in India enjoy beef) and it included cinnamon. The other ingredient that really pushed it to amazing was actually malt vinegar.

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Alter trying this today, I am going to highly recommend that everyone buy some cin sticks, and add a few to the stew, from the beginning. I absolutely love what it did for the stew, and although it's not going to be for everyone, y'all should give it a try.

Cheers.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
If you liked that.. try this recipe .. it knocks the socks off of anyone I've served it to. This is what I mentioned in my reply. Keep the cilantro on the side. But this is truly a beef stew with real spice and depth. It can be life changing for some :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom