Cinnamon: Cassia, Korintje, Cylon, Indonesian, Chinese, Vietnamese...?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Aug 3, 2014.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm placing my spice order (through Penzeys Spices) and I need some ground cinnamon. Only I never really thought about cinnamon beyond... well... just "cinnamon". Now I am faced with the following choices. My understanding is that the first 3 choices are "Cassia" cinnamon: 

China Tung Hing Cinnamon    our best seller, it is strong and spicier than Korintje, with a potent, sweet flavor

Korintje Indonesia Cinnamon    sweet and mellow, this is the cinnamon we all remember from our childhood

Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon    the highest quality, strongest cinnamon available in America today

Ceylon Cinnamon    complex and fragrant, with a citrus overtone and rich buff color

Now I mostly use cinnamon for savory dishes, from North African (couscous, tajines...) to Southeast Asian etc... also some oriental pastries, but NOT with apple, cinnamon rolls or hot cocoa for example. 

Any idea which one would suit my needs best?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unless its price prohibitive, how about some of each and play with it. I get the Vietnamese for my local Vietnamese store (Lilla Saigon ) and us it for everything from cinnamon rolls to curries and find it quite nice.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A number of years ago we "discovered" Ceylon and fell in love with it's more complex flavor and citrusy undertones.  My wife and I now use it much of our baking, although not all of it.  I find I still prefer cinnamon rolls with the stronger cassia cinnamon and most often prefer that also when using cinnamon in savory dishes.  The Ceylon cinnamon also wins, hands down, when making cinnamon sugar toast!!!

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Cinnamon is a complete different species from cassia, different genus, too.  Generally cassia has  a stronger flavour, and cinnamon a more delicate one.

If you look in the bible, old testament, forget which book, there's a  recipe for an annointing oil.  It very specifically mentions both cinnamon AND cassia..... 

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for the great info guys. I ended up ordering the Ceylon "true" cinnamon. I already have cinnamon sticks that apparently are some kind of cassia bark, so that way I'll be able to compare!