Cinema Snacks

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I was reading through the popcorn thread in the nutrion forum, and I just had to ask, why do the theatres charge so much for food, especially popcorn ?. I mean it's not like they have an extremely high food cost.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
Sneaking in to see a second film was fun the first time as a teenager, but beyond that, I have ethical issues. I think anyone who's ever tried to run a business would. (Plus that's a really long time to sit on my butt!)It's still theft. As for margins, I heard they make the most money on soft drinks, not popcorn, as do the major fast food chains. From what I read, cinemas aren't really making all that much money. COnsidering what most cinemas had to invest to get tose super-comfortable new seats, I'm happy to pay the price. Heck, I'll pay the price for a good movie anyday. Too bad there aren't too many of those nowadays... There's always the video store!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
OneSockChef I always do that too. Bring my water and treats. On occasion I will get their popcorn, don't know why but it always taste so good. ;)

Joined Jan 26, 2001
In NJ a lot of drug stores, especially Drug Emporium, sell the large boxes of cinema candies for as low as 79 cents. There is a huge store in Mercer Mall located right next to a multiplex theater that sells tons of candy to movie goers. I always bring my own bottled water (89 cents) versus $2.00 at the theater. And, since I do not trust the quality of the popcorn I make my own and bring it. It costs only pennies at home.

Joined Jan 26, 2001
I like to make a game of sneaking snacks into the movies. Haven't tried fitting in a bucket-o-popcorn ever, but I don't like the stuff.

An interesting story- when my Mom was young, her great-grandma (my great-great-grandma) would pack sliced turnips for them to munch on at the movies. Kind of like popcorn, you know? Well... kind of....

:p ~~Shimmer~~

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
OneSockChef,

Never thought of donuts. I always try to bring in healthy snacks. I'll really have to change my ways. :D

Joined Apr 30, 2001

Thanks for the cool Gremlins! I hope this works or I'm going to be editing this post forever.

Re: movie theater snacks: I typically make great popcorn in my whirlypop - then watch pay per view.

only one edit...not bad for a new trick

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

Joined Apr 30, 2001
thanks for the tip FIM! We could get way carried away here. Where else can you use the silly things?

Joined Apr 30, 2001
Oh, OneSock, please forgive in advance my powers of description...

A whirlypop is a large aluminum pan with a hinged lid on top and a stir-thingy that runs through the handle, hooking to a gear that turns some wire doohickys inside along the bottom of the pan, constantly stirring the popcorn by turning the crank on the handle. Help me someone! There is probably a link out there somewhere....hold on a minute, maybe the recipe book included a link...

yep, here it is:
http://www.popcornpopper.com

Anyway, it makes really great popcorn with as little as a teaspoon of oil - you can make sugar corn or carmel corn or whatever else you like in it also. Love my whirlypop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom