Cilantro/Coriander Essence - How To Ideas?

Joined Sep 29, 2015
Hey guys!

I'll cut right to the chase. I'm looking for a way to get the most out of cilantro. I want to make some sort of liquid that, when eaten, tastes like you've just chewed on a bunch of the stuff. What would be a technique to use to go about doing this?

PS: I'm not looking to make an infused oil.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
You could make a cilantro extract with alcohol or vinegar. Im not going to vouch for how good it will taste or work in your dishes.

Another method would be to crush a large amount of cilantro with a mortar and pestle and a little water. Press the liquid from the cilantro paste and repeat until you have enough cilantro liquid for your purposes.

You could also make a cilantro "stock" or tea by boiling it the same way you would make a beef or chicken stock. Reduce it until you reach the desired concentration of flavor.

Good Luck. :)

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Do you have a juicer? That might work...you'd need a LOT of cilantro for a little juice.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi manofgirolles,

Almost sounds like a perfect application for spherification. Not sure about using sodium alginate, I yield to the molecular folks...

Good luck!

Joined Sep 29, 2015
Hi manofgirolles,

Almost sounds like a perfect application for spherification. Not sure about using sodium alginate, I yield to the molecular folks...

Good luck!
Thank you! I hadn't thought of that! This is what I'm going with :) You're the best!

Joined Sep 29, 2015
You could make a cilantro extract with alcohol or vinegar. Im not going to vouch for how good it will taste or work in your dishes.

Another method would be to crush a large amount of cilantro with a mortar and pestle and a little water. Press the liquid from the cilantro paste and repeat until you have enough cilantro liquid for your purposes.

You could also make a cilantro "stock" or tea by boiling it the same way you would make a beef or chicken stock. Reduce it until you reach the desired concentration of flavor.

Good Luck. :)
Thank you! I'm going to try the mortar and pestle method, then add some sodium alginate to create some beads! You guys rock!

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I want to make some sort of liquid that, when eaten, tastes like you've just chewed on a bunch of the stuff.

A glug of pinesol would do the trick for me o_O

A smart arsed way to say - don't forget that not everyone likes cilantro, be sure to include it in the description.

Joined Feb 8, 2017
Hi manofgirolles,

Good luck!
You can purree the cilantro in a vitaminx with a small amount of liquid. Pass through a chinois and freeze into half-sphere molds. Use a ratio of 3 parts alginate to 500 parts water to sphere-ify your frozen purée. Use a perferated serving spoon like available from JB Prince, or a “sphereification spoon” to dip the frozen purée into the alginate for 20+ seconds. Do not let them touch each other or they will break during this step. Carefully transfer to a room temp. water bath and hold to order. They should remain stable for a few days upto a week before the outer skin starts to decintigrate and leak out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom