Ciabatta

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I was inspired by the ciabatta pics that TBH posted a while ago. So I went back into the Lab.. This stuff is wild. the dough progresses from pancake batter to a mercury like dough during the fermentation. The finished dough would run right through your fingers. There is so much flour covering evetything that it feels like silk. Very cool stuff. Any one else play with ciabatta?

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Who eats all this stuff? I wasn't aware there was a naturally leavened Struan up Peter's sleeve. He and I talked about a sponge and dough formula, which I did, but I always go right back to the straight dough method because I'm usually in a time crunch. I've been using his focaccia recipe to make ciabatta about three times a week. It takes a little less time than Ponsford's, is a little firmer dough. I've had trouble with semolina bread. Haven't made it in a while. That's good looking stuff.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
The naturally leavened Struan is actually the Leavened Multi Grain Bread from C&C. In looking at the ingredients it looked suspiciously like Struan so I took some editorial license :) Ponsford's ciabatta dough is kinda fun to work with, as long as you have plenty of bench flour. The first couple of turnings were interesting. I just swallowed hard and went for it. Last weeks semolina was made with semolina rather than durum semolina. I had to add almost a cup of bread flour to get the dough to hold together. The result was rather flat in appearance and flavor. This time I had real durum. Much better on both counts. The crumb was almost cake like. As to who eats the stuff, I give it away. Today it went to my barber, my girlfiends office and my office. I held back a little of the semolina w/raisins and fennel :)

Joined May 11, 2001
You like you're just about ready to open a boulangerie, KyleW! Your family and friends must just love you.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I second that. You are lucky I'm in MTL and not in NYC...I would probably raid your little kitchen! ;)

Joined Aug 14, 2000
The ciabatta thing continues. I went back into mi cucina this weekend and did a wild mushroom ciabatta a la Reinhart. It is amazing to me how many different approaches there are to the same end. This dough, once mixed, proofs right on the counter. It's not a "wet" as the ciabatta in Artisan Baking, but close. The formula is the C&C formula that he has tweaked. The Poolish % is north of 160%. Half of the mushrooms are fresh and half are dried. Anyone know why? Why not all fresh or all dry? He also allows for the addition of olive oil to the dough and swapping in milk for the water. I did both. The crumb was very moist but the crust was missing the good hard crackle. I think that's the trade off. The fats soften everything, crust included.

I froze one of them. Is the moisture content of the mushrooms going to screw things up?

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Wow Kyle this is fantastic! Everything looks delicious.

Can I have a piece please? :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom