Christmas Salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by notoriouslyken, Dec 15, 2009.

1. notoriouslyken

notoriouslyken

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have been assigned the task of coming up with a christmas salad for our dinner this sunday (only time the entire family will be together). I am not sure where I want to go with it, but I'd like it to lean towards the fine dining style. The main course will be an American-Italian style food that will most likely be an abundance of tomato sauce. I'd like to include vegetables that are fall/winter harvest if possible. Any ideas?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sorry to hear about the overabundance of tomato sauce. What else will be served? It will be easier to help you if we know the general idea of the menu.

3. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mesclun greens with julienned red onions, grape tomatoes, roasted (or candied) walnuts and dried cranberries, dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd probably do a roasted root vegetable salad. I don't have a specific recipe in mind but something along the lines of roasted fingerling potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves(though I might use this in the dressing), and so on. I'd probably include some sweet potato too.

As to the dressing, a balsamic reduction with roasted garlic comes to mind.

5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I always make my 7 later salad, if I don't everyone will shoot me :lol:

6. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like the salad that JJ mentioned if it will be served as a side the tomato sauce dish. The candied walnuts will 'round out' the acid in the tomato. IMO.

7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    what about belgian endive, walnut and shaved parmigiano?

Endive is slightly bitter and helps digest the heavy christmas foods.

You might try the Sicilian salad of finely sliced fennel and oranges

Or a cole slaw made with red cabbage, shaved carrot (just keep peeling it with the carrot peeler) and boiled dressing - can add raisins or cranberries, pine nuts or pistachios - boiled dressing being milk, sugar, mustard, oil, salt, pepper, caraway or fennel seeds or dill or celery seeds, flour and an egg, boiled down. Not fatty like mayonnaise and much tastier.