Christmas in september- NFL season starts

Joined Aug 9, 2010
I know this is probably a little early but football is just around the corner. Everyone knows the appropriate food for football is pizza and hot wings. Additionally everyone thinks their wings are the best, I just happen to be right:)

What I want to know is what other people serve for football parties. At my house we're fans of the Jalapeno popper, and not those over-breaded bland slices you get in the freezer section. Here's the recipe:

Jalapeño Poppers-

25 jalapeño peppers

8 oz brick Monterey jack cheese cut into wedges small enough to stuff in peppers and leave room for cream cheese

8-16 oz cream cheese depending on the size of the jalapenos

Canola oil for deep frying

For batter-

¾ cup flour

¼ cup corn meal

1 tbsp sea salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp fresh ground pepper

½ tsp turmeric

½ tsp baking powder

1 cup ice cold beer (preferably a light beer like corona)
  • Slice open jalapeños, remove seeds (you can leave some of the seeds in if your friends have more durable palates than my friends)
  • Stuff the cheese wedges into the peppers and fill the remaining space w cream cheese.
  • Heat oil in deep fryer or large pan to 375f
  • In a large bowl mix dry ingredients.
  • Stir in 1 cup cold beer.
  • One at a time, coat jalapeños in batter and drop in oil. Cook in batches until golden brown. Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
  • Serve w/ sour cream and or guacamole
  • Drink the remaining beer (optional)
What do you guys make? Could use some new ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Is there anything bacon does not make better? Had some with whole shrimp in them once, kinda overpowered the shrimp. Do you usually do a mixed stuffing or just cheese?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Ahh bacon...

The current faves are home made spiced cheese (which is something like Boursin); provolone or cheddar with left over beef; or jack cheese and leftover chicken or pork.   

I make ours in the smoker.

BDL

Top Bottom