Christmas Dinner Questions

Joined Dec 10, 2017
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this website and am looking forward to learning a lot from it. This will be my first year making Christmas dinner and I had a few questions:

1.) I am making prime rib for the meat, but what are some good sides that pair well with it?

2.) I was looking into Yorkshire pudding and it looks like a good idea that would pair well with the gravy but I was wondering a. what is your general opinion of these "Yorkies"? and b. if I decide to make them should I make rolls as well or will these be sufficient as the bread helping of the dinner?

3.) For dessert I had a few options I was thinking about but my brother's birthday is on Christmas and, traditionally, we will be having cake. I still want to make something to accompany it that keeps the Christmas theme but not bread/cake based. I was thinking a pavlova maybe? Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to seeing some responses. :)

- Connor

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Welcome. Prime rib is one of my favorite meats to roast for Christmas. There are so many options for sides that it's really up to you. But come on, who wouldn't love a creamy mashed potato next to a slice of prime rib? That's my go-to. Creamed spinach, glazed carrots, broccolini, these are all typical veggies to go with it but more importantly, what do you like to cook?

I'd say yorkshire puds should serve enough as a bread. Good luck with those, they can be a bit tricky.

As for dessert I think pavlova is an excellent idea! I was thinking of making one in the shape of a wreath myself this year, or maybe a cinnamon panna cotta. Other desserts I've made with great success for Christmas include rice pudding with mulled wine compote, baklava, gingerbread, yule log, and cheesecake.

Joined Dec 10, 2017
My Mom made prime rib roast for our "early Christmas" this year and it was divine. We had it with yorkies mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I disagree with the other poster and think Yorkshire pudding is super easy.
1. Some sides I like with roast beef would be potatoes in any form but my preference would be mashed, Brussels sprouts w/bacon , any variation of green beans and green peas with butter.
2. Yorkshire is a very good idea, imo nothing goes better with roast beef than yorkies. Rip one in half put a little beef inside and drench it in gravy yummm.
3. Some holiday themed desserts suggestions: anything with pumpkin in it, mincemeat pie, Christmas pudding .

Joined Dec 10, 2017
Welcome. Prime rib is one of my favorite meats to roast for Christmas. There are so many options for sides that it's really up to you. But come on, who wouldn't love a creamy mashed potato next to a slice of prime rib? That's my go-to. Creamed spinach, glazed carrots, broccolini, these are all typical veggies to go with it but more importantly, what do you like to cook?

I'd say yorkshire puds should serve enough as a bread. Good luck with those, they can be a bit tricky.

As for dessert I think pavlova is an excellent idea! I was thinking of making one in the shape of a wreath myself this year, or maybe a cinnamon panna cotta. Other desserts I've made with great success for Christmas include rice pudding with mulled wine compote, baklava, gingerbread, yule log, and cheesecake.

Thanks for the reply!

For potatoes I was thinking twice-baked, as I've been craving them and I think they would pair well with the meal. Mashed potatoes sound like a good pair as well! Maybe with a hint of garlic. Creamed spinach and glazed carrots sound delicious.. I'll have to look into some recipes!

I have cooked occasionally for years, but have yet to discover any particular favorites to cook. I am always up for venturing into new ingredients/flavors/recipes and that's one of the reason I came here to ask some of you more experienced chefs ;). Hopefully I can begin to develop some personal go-tos!

This will be my first time attempting Yorkshire pudding and I've seen the comments on how tricky it can be sometimes so I'm going into it with caution.. may have to buy a pack of brown and serve rolls just in case they don't turn out as expected.

The cinnamon panna cotta sounds awesome! So does the rice pudding. Well, really, they all sounds great. Haha I'm just leaning towards more pudding/custard/creme desserts for this dinner to pair with a birthday cake. Two bread/cake desserts might be a bit overkill :p.

I found this recipe for pomegranate pavlovas:

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a36394/pavlovas-pomegranate-cream-recipe-wdy1213/

I love pomegranates and it would make a beautiful and delicious way to cap the dinner!

Joined Dec 10, 2017
My Mom made prime rib roast for our "early Christmas" this year and it was divine. We had it with yorkies mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I disagree with the other poster and think Yorkshire pudding is super easy.
1. Some sides I like with roast beef would be potatoes in any form but my preference would be mashed, Brussels sprouts w/bacon , any variation of green beans and green peas with butter.
2. Yorkshire is a very good idea, imo nothing goes better with roast beef than yorkies. Rip one in half put a little beef inside and drench it in gravy yummm.
3. Some holiday themed desserts suggestions: anything with pumpkin in it, mincemeat pie, Christmas pudding .

Thanks for the reply!

Green bean casserole was on my list. It's one of my favorite holiday side dishes, eating-wise at least, and I think it would pair well with the prime rib. I was also looking into Brussel sprouts with bacon. I've only had them once before but for some reason they sound like a good addition to the menu.

The only issue I have with Yorkshire and sides like Brussel sprouts is that my family is used to Christmas dinners with things like corn, mac & cheese, dinner rolls, etc.. They may be a bit thrown off by the new dishes as Yorkies and Brussels are never on our dinner table. I suppose it may be nice to introduce their pallets to some new flavors, though, right? ;)

Joined Dec 10, 2017
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this website and am looking forward to learning a lot from it. This will be my first year making Christmas dinner and I had a few questions:

1.) I am making prime rib for the meat, but what are some good sides that pair well with it?

2.) I was looking into Yorkshire pudding and it looks like a good idea that would pair well with the gravy but I was wondering a. what is your general opinion of these "Yorkies"? and b. if I decide to make them should I make rolls as well or will these be sufficient as the bread helping of the dinner?

3.) For dessert I had a few options I was thinking about but my brother's birthday is on Christmas and, traditionally, we will be having cake. I still want to make something to accompany it that keeps the Christmas theme but not bread/cake based. I was thinking a pavlova maybe? Any other suggestions would be great.

- Connor
Hello everyone!

- Connor
In England it's almost illegal not to have Yorkies with roast beef! We don't generally have dinner rolls with our meals but I think it would be overkill to serve them in addition to Yorkies. They are super easy to make, just ensure that the fat/oil is pipping hot before pouring in the batter and don't be tempted to open the oven door to see if they have risen.

As for the veg, brussels sprouts pair really well with roast beef. We often serve them with bacon and/or chestnuts which is pretty seasonal. I don't know if you have leeks in the States (they are of the onion family). These are delicious served in a creamy white sauce.

I would go for roast potatoes Irish/English style. Roast beef and crispy roast potatoes will have your guests drooling. Otherwise mash will work well.

For pudding why not make a trifle? It will make an attractive centrepiece and compliment a serving of birthday cake really well but the pavlova is also a great idea, especially with the addition of cinnamon for a festive touch.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
It’s very difficult when families expect certain dishes. They get quite attached to their traditions. But at my house everyone knows that anything goes. Every year I do something different. Maybe you should keep some of the dishes you expect and only add a dish or 2 that are new to them. I’m afraid you may have to make Mac n cheese.

Don’t be scared about the yorkies. Butnsure, why not have something else on hand to take the pressure off? It’s not that they’re difficult, it’s that they have to be made right before serving dinner when things get hectic because making them ahead of time isn’t an option unless you want to serve flat hockey pucks. They’re just best straight out of the oven.

Twice baked potatoes are great and you can even do the first bake the day before which will save you time.

Top Bottom