Christmas dinner challenge :)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by foodie 13, Nov 21, 2013.

1. foodie 13

foodie 13

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Its coming up really close so i thought i would put it out there is anyone here signed up to cook christmas dinner this year. I have signed myself and my husband to cook it this year. Giving our parents a break for once. We are cooking for 10 people and i can't wait for the challange. Ive started doing up a list of all the things i will need for both starters, sides, and desserts. Husbands parents are buying the turkey for us which will be about 25kg and take about 5 hours to cook and his bro and wife are buying the ham for us. we wanted to do it in our own house but it's too small for everyone so we are cooking it in his folks place.

Im so excited to get started. Cannot wait :)

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    25 pounds you mean?  'Cause I don't really want to think about a 55 pound turkey, or it fitting in a standard oven.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Even 25 pounds is rather large to serve 10 persons, unless you WANT to have a lot of leftover turkey. AND you're also serving ham? 

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My first holiday dinner with Karen's family - canned veggies, instant potatoes, gravy from a packet, you get the idea.

These days I do the cooking, with REAL food.  And we are driving to Phoenix for Thanksgiving so I can easily take some sharp knives and such with me..  Nice.

mjb.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    For years I have figured a  25lb bird will feed 25 guest. using both dark and white meat,  In other words 1 pound of raw meat per person. With the ham you have enough for 35 or more. Figure out how to use leftovrs. and have a happy.

6. ghislaine

ghislaine

Exp:
    At home cook
    Do the Turkey, do the ham and do all the sides - there's nothing better than Thanksgiving leftovers.

7. foodie 13

foodie 13

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ya they would use the turkey for the next day also for stephans day so will be roughly around the same amount of people again. will def be having ham also. will be leaving the stephans day cooking to my parents in law. :)

8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Have you decided on your sides yet?  and are you sending each guest home with a takeaway box?  what about dessert?  libations?