Christmas Chestnut Cheesecake question

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by patlaw, Dec 19, 2005.

1. patlaw

patlaw

I'm planning to make a chestnut cheesecake for Christmas. My recipe calls for a jar of chestnuts in vanilla syrup. I have on hand a jar of plain roasted chestnuts. Can I marinate them in vanilla syrup to the same effect?

Patricia in a pickle.

2. markdavis6

markdavis6

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't know if you chestnuts are salted, if they are you wouldn't want to use them.

Here's one for Candied Chestnuts, you could add vanilla seeds in the last ten minutes of simmering.

1 pound (455 g) fresh chestnuts (thiry to thiry-five)
    4 cups (960 ml) water
    8 ounces (225 g) granulated sugar

1. Cut a small X in the flat side of the shell on each chestnut, using the tip of a paring knife.

2. Place the chestnuts on a sheet pan and roast at 375 degrees (190 C) for approximately 15 minutes. (Or place in a sauce pan with enough water to cover, simmer for the same length of time, and drain.)

3. While the nuts are still hot, remove the shells and the dark paper-like skin around the meat.

4. Place the chestnuts in a saucepan with the water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring gently, and then simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup. Let cool.

5. Store the Candied Chestnuts in the syrup covered in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks.
    :chef: