christmas cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cheryl1, Oct 19, 2005.

1. cheryl1

cheryl1

Why does fruit in christmas cakes sink to the bottom? I cook my cakes at the recommended temperature for the recipe 150c and time 2hours and 30minutes. I also test the cake is cooked by pushing a skewer into the middle and check it comes out clean.

2. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Because the fruit is heavier than the batter and sinks before the proteins in the batter gel and provide sufficient structure to hold them up.

Maybe you should use a thicker batter.

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Castiron is right, maybe a thicker batter, or you can try the old flour trick: Make your batter as per usual, but save a little of the measured flour, then toss your fruit in the flour and fold in.

Oh, do you "massage" your fruit? Instead of soaking, I toss the fruit, booze, fruit juices, etc into a mixing bowl and with the flat beater, mix it gently for a few minutes. This softens up and bruises the dried fruit, allowing it to soak up the liquid. It usually takes a week of soaking without agitiation to acomplish the same thing....

4. cheryl1

cheryl1

Thanks to both castironchef and foodpump for taking the time to reply to my question. The advice you have given me is appreciated and i will use the advice next week which will be my third attempt at making a christmas cake.

5. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Please let us know how your next batch comes out.

6. cheryl1

cheryl1

Thank you castironchef and foodpump i followed your good advice and please to say it worked. :bounce: :bounce:

7. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Excellent!