Chris from LA

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by amusebouche, Jan 21, 2005.

1. amusebouche

amusebouche

Hi all. I am changing my career as I cannot take the life-sucking office grind any more. I have been cooking all my life, and recently started a small catering business. I am looking to get a job in a professional kitchen at whatever level they'll take me. I've never attended culinary school, but I'm a fast learner and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about being in the kitchen.

I am looking for a first kitchen job in Los Angeles and I need some advice on how to go about it, particularly as I've not held a restaurant job since I was 16.

Thanks, and I'm so glad I found this site.

Chris

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey Chris, welcome to Chef Talk Cafe. We have a great many members here who have left other careers and turned to culinary pursuits. You're sure to link up with them here. Enjoy this site and all it has to offer!

Mezzaluna

3. tstiles

tstiles

Hey Chris, I'm new too. I haven't even posted my introduction yet. I'm moving back to San Francisco where I've used this method I'm about to suggest. Here's what you do. It has landed me some of the best jobs. Have your resume even if you have no cooking experience. Walk in to the dining establishment of your choice. Ask to speek with the chef. (make sure to do this well before dinner or lunch service. 8-10 in the morning is good.) When you are face to face with the chef make your talk quik and to the point. "Here's my resume. I may not have any kitchen experience but I am willing to work my way up. I would be glad to do a one to three day trial (un-paid). thank you for your time." If he or she asks what you would be willing to do say prep work preferably but also say you're willing to wash dishes. Have your knife set and kitchen atire ready in the car. The chef may ask, "when would you be willing to work." Say "right now." Do this to 10 or so restaurants. I wish the best of luck.