Chef Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I tried every one of the suggestions, i find hard flour gives a better texture than soft flour, I whip the eggs one by one and add, when i think i need a little more egg i just add very slowly the whipped egg. Havent tried adding an egg white or an egg yolk only. I prefer half milk half water over just water

I tried every one of the suggestions, i find hard flour gives a better texture than soft flour, I whip the eggs one by one and add, when i think i need a little more egg i just add very slowly the whipped egg. Havent tried adding an egg white or an egg yolk only. I prefer half milk half water over just water
OK, so you tried all the suggestions.......did they come out any better? Also, you don't need to whip the eggs before you add them.

I do similar... not because the whipping does anything more than mix the yolk wit the white. Then adding half-egg is both parts, not just one part. It might not make a real difference but that's what I've always done so that's what I always do.

I do similar... not because the whipping does anything more than mix the yolk wit the white. Then adding half-egg is both parts, not just one part. It might not make a real difference but that's what I've always done so that's what I always do.
Pro tip: If, at the end, you think you need just a bit more egg, but not an entire one, it's better to add the white only. Whites will add more structure and crispness, whereas the yolk won't.

I'm just curious. I think I was the only one who mentioned a mechanical test on the fully mixed choux. I kept reading, "when I think".
I wish the human eye had that type of power, but without some kind of test, running the spoon handle, running a finger, tilting the bowl (if small batch, and timing the return to level), I can't see how it's possible to get the same consistent product every time.
Adding the eggs incorporate differently according to freshness. This is my reason to add another step to the mechanical test by testing the choux when the outside of the bowl is blood temp. A warm choux will be looser than a colder one.
Just curious. All this from higher up competitions.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I do what chefpeon and jcakes mentioned, I pull up the beater or the spatula if I'm doing it by hand, and I look for that v to form as I pull the spatula away and then for the dough not to run off. I aim for a consistency that is not rock solid, but also not very liquid. That v that forms on the spatula is kinda rubbery in the sense it wiggles if you wiggle the spoon. Also, I start adding the eggs when the dough is around 50 celsius.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.