Choosing the Correct Oven

Joined May 8, 2018
So we do Donairs and we are thinking of expanding to doing pizza.

I have read a good portion of the archived threads already but my post specifically pertains to what sort of oven to use.

The oven we currently have but is not being used is a convection oven:

https://www.eurodib.com/unox-lisa-manual-xaf-013

The oven we think we may need is this however:
https://www.nellaonline.com/products/nella-double-chamber-countertop-pizza-oven-39580

Can you guys please shed some light on this predicament?

Joined May 8, 2018
Ceramic pizza deck
39580_double_Countertop-Pizza-oven.jpg

Convection Oven
Lisa_XF013.jpg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Mike-T... Donair and "gourmet" don't often be poken in the same sentence. :)

Lessismore... either deck oven or more realistically... consider a conveyor oven.

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Get a conveyor if you want to mimic Dominos or Pizza Hut or some other crappy pizza. Go deck if you've space, and wood fired if you have $$$, skills, and energy (who says a Donair can't be gourmet?...grass fed beef, heirloom tomatoes, house made pita?)

Last edited:
Joined May 8, 2018
1. Isn't the first pic a deck oven and if not, why not?

2. If you had to choose between the 2, which would it be and why (leaving out the fact that 1 is much larger than the other)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
1. Yes, it says so in your label and the sales description . The deck is 1/2 inch ceramic.

2. Definitely the deck oven. It will result in a better pizza crust... depending on recipe and skill of the cook of course.

The primary reason I mention conveyor oven is that it may help ensure a more consistent product if you have a less skilled workforce.

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Yes, that is classified as a deck oven. But it is very small and certainly not for any place that expects to do volume. We don't know what type of establishment you have or what your potential volume might be. But the one you show can only fit two large pizzas at a time and as pizzas take anywhere from 8 to 12 minutes depending upon the thickness of crust in your temp you're limited to 10 to 12 pizzas per hour. I traditional gas deck oven can be single double triple or even quadruple layer, and they can be 5 6 7 even 8 ft wide. You can cook up to 12 pizzas at a time in a large model so thats 70 per hour. 2 decks is 140 hour. Etc. Again we don't know your budget nor do we know the size of your space. So it's really hard to give you good advice without that information.

Last edited:
Joined May 8, 2018
SO perhaps let me state our limitations
The oven must be electric, it can NOT be a bit bigger than that deck oven but not by much, we don't expect a lot of volume.

Our space is very small

Joined May 30, 2015
Conveyor ovens are easier to get a more consistent product without a lot of R&D. Deck ovens are better if you have the time and energy to spend experimenting and getting the dough & baking technique just right.

If you're just using run of the mill frozen doughballs, I'd get a conveyor oven. Conveyor ovens also work better for baked sandwiches in my opinion since they don't trap as much moisture/steam as a deck oven.

Joined May 8, 2018
Hi Lessismore.

I had to google “donair” to see that it is a kebab.

As capecodchef said, a kebab can most definitely be “gourmet.” Pizza cooking times can be drastically reduced in a wood oven. As Neapolitans say, if it takes longer than 90 seconds it ain’t pizza. A wood oven would also cook great bread for kebabs.

But, I see where you’re coming from. Sometimes it’s easier to stick with what you know/are confident/happy with. Good luck :)

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Seems like some folks need to do a food tour of Halifax to better understand donair (and donair shops). :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom