Chocolate truffles

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cookiejar, Mar 8, 2006.

1. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Hi! I want to make chocolate truffles by first forming the outer shell with tempered chocolate in a mold and then filling with the ganache. The two questions I have are:

1. Can I fill the chilled shell with newly made ganache or does it have to first firm up?

2. I was told that you can freeze the finished chocolate product with no ill effects, i.e. blooming. Is that true?

Can anyone offer any help?

Joyce

2. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Go with the ganache still warm/cool, but not cold, if the shell is frozen, no worries(considering you ARE working with a small size).

Freeze with NO worries, been there, done that, no prob.

3. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks! I just got a Rev2 tempering machine which I can't wait to try out but being on a diet is depressing unless I can save (freeze) some for me. I always thought that freezing would create problems so I was really excited to hear that it's ok. It'll really help around the holidays to get things done ahead of time.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I would form the truffles first, freeze them, and then tip them in the coating. That way you'll be sure there are no air pockets and no seams. And you'll have no waste due to breakage of shells.

5. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    That would work, but I so love the look of those in molds. Has anyone tried making a "hot cocoa" truffle using cayenne? I'm thinking of trying something along those lines but not sure how much chili to use. Any ideas?

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Joyce
    it is sometimes better to use oils. The flavors disperse more evenly.
    I think you should retard the shells and filling to the same temp before finishing. Sometimes you might get a little expansion when the ganache sets.
    With freezing, it's usually the thawing process that will effect the product.
    Unless that diet is ordered by a doctor or for religious reasons. Get that machine fired up:D
    pan

7. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Huh??? I don't understand the "retard" part. Could you please elaborate for me? Also, are you talking about the oils used in candy making or chili oil as used for Chinese food? I'm dieting for a company contest...I'm VERY competitive but I'm beginning to weaken as my poor lil' machine sits all alone.

8. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    retarding is just cooling to the point where the total product is the same temp. sorry. Yes oils like for candies or sugar

9. cookiejar

cookiejar

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thanks Pan. I still have some catching up to do with the buzwords. I'm very envious of people in the industry. I work in electronics but in another life I'd be in food service.