chocolate toffee?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by siduri, Sep 20, 2010.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I used to love callard and bowser's chocolate toffee.  To my great sadness the company seems not to exist any more.  What I liked about it was that they lasted a really long time in my mouth.  Chocolate goes away in a half a minute!

Is there any way to make something like that?  It's like a caramel but harder.  (Even hard candy with chocolate flavor would be fine) .

I imagine the high temperature you need to make candy or caramel would burn the chocolate but there must be a way, old Callard and Bowser could do it!

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sadly, C&B seem to be a thing of the past, but a friend told me that Walkers (who also traded under the 'Nonsuch' label) now do a very similar chocolate toffee to C&Bs!  I used to adare C&B's banana split toffee and their chocolate toffee too.  Walkers seem to make it in bars as well as individually-wrapped toffees.

Here's a link  http://www.walkers-nonsuch.co.uk/newsitem001.aspx?NewsID=18

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks Ishbel!!  I'll keep my eye out for it next time I'm in the UK.  Glad someone remembers the old callard and bowser.  And thanks for sending me the private message or I would have missed this post - they do tend to disappear down the list. 

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Picking up this thread again, and wanted to ask if anyone knows how to make chocolate toffee.  It can't be that hard, right?  Or chocolate flavored hard candy would be good too.