chocolate tart - weird separation happened

Joined Feb 24, 2007
Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm making a chocolate tart filling that made in the past without incident. Basically:

1lb bitter sweet
pinch salt
1c cream
1/2 lb butter
2tbsp sugar

Heat the cream, salt, sugar to boil, add chocolate & butter til melted.

I decided to try adding 1tbsp of Chambord to the melt to try a add a slight raspberry flavor. As everything began to come together, it quickly started to separate with the chocolate becoming lumpy and a layer of clear oil/water on the surface. Gross!

I'm guessing it's the alcohol. If not, could it be the butter? I was using an el cheapo Smart & Final brand.

Meanwhile, off to the store for more chocolate and better butter....skipping the Chambord this time.

Joined Feb 24, 2007
I searched through some of my cook books and in Jamie Oliver's he mentions that "the mixture may separate slightly, then let it cools some and whisk a little milk until smooth". Too bad I found this after I tossed the first batch, ran to the store, remelted sans Chambord and still got the separation. At least I know better than to toss this batch.

rat

Joined Mar 2, 2006
Add the chambord to the cream and not the chocolate, also if it breaks like that your mix was too hot.

I would boil the cream and pour it over the chocolate and butter in a bowl, add the Chambord ,whisk it smooth from that point.

Joined Feb 24, 2007
Agreed. I'm pretty sure it was too hot (> 120 degrees) on the first batch and the chocolate and oil separated. I've made this a without issue before, but it was a good learning experience to see the chocolate and oil separate...also kinda nasty.

Tart was a hit and now we are all stuffed.

Joined May 29, 2006
I believe it the butter as 93 score quality butter will not do this . But cheap stuff could be up to 45% water and this will do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom