Chocolate Separation

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by nanette, Feb 21, 2006.

1. nanette

nanette

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm having trouble with chocolate separation when I make large batches of brownies. The recipe says to melt the chocolate and butter together which I then put in the mixing bowl, then add sugar, eggs, and flour. Everything seems to be fine until after they're baked. I notice white greasy-looking spots on the bottom of the brownies which I'm told is the cocoa butter coming out of the chocolate.

I know chocolate is temperamental. I'm melting it over very low heat. What could be causing the separation? Brownies are supposed to be an easy dessert.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Many thanks,
    Nanette

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi Nanette,
    Welcome. you sound a little frustrated. Not to worry, we'll get it right.
    OK, are you melting the choco+butter over a doubler on low heat?
    I would really like to see ingredients and more explanation on method. Are you mixing the sugar and eggs? Is the butter supposed to be split. Are you using real butter? I know it's a little inconvienient but the full information would really help to give you the best results.
    Panini

3. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    nanette - are the brownies straight out of the oven when you see the the white spots or is it after cooling - this is very important, as well as the grade of chocolate.