Chocolate sculpture problems

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by notyetchef, May 9, 2005.

1. notyetchef

notyetchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i have just started a new chocolate sculpture of children holding an umbrella. threw the handle and pole umbrella i am am planning on putting a plastic pipe that will let chocolate syrup pour over the top of the umbrella to give a rain affect. i am worried though that the syrup might comprimise the structural integrity of the umbrella and the peice itself by adding extra wieght over time or absorbing some of the chocolate in sculpture as it moves over the peice. any one with advice?

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Is the umbrella straight or at an angle? I ask that to figure how much area will be affected. At an angle obviously only a small area is of concern. If it comes out of the center you have more area to worry about and can plan accordingly. Also I assume you are using a pump to run it continuously. If you are pumping chocolate it will obviously have to be at temperature which means you will definitely have build up over time. If you are using a syrup you won't have to worry as much about build up, it would be wise to thin it as well to avoid a slower drying and buildup. As far as breaking down the umbrella you could incorporate a piece of acetate. For instance you could use a transfer to decorate the umbrella and the place where the chocolate pours build the transfer itself into the chocolate. That way the chocolate pours over the acetate rather than the chocolate protecting it from build up & breakdown.