Chocolate Problem.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sylviam, May 15, 2014.

  1. sylviam

    sylviam

    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    11
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    Came across a problem today. When I make chocolates and drain the molds when lining them. I save the drained chocolate and I usually collect enough to melt and let go cold into a "block" so I can use it for seed chocolate when tempering (think I am explaining this right!). never had a problem with this before, but yesterday I made a batch of chocolates (Using the Guittard "Highland" Milk Couverture for the first time). I put the "scraps" to melt so I could make a block" from it, and it wouldn't melt. It is "grainy" looking and a thick mass. Any idea why this is? (I ended up putting some into hot milk and it made good hot chocolate to drink, no sense in wasting it).
     
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. cschley

    cschley

    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    13
    Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Only thing that i can see is it seized, or got wet and clumped together.
     
  3. sylviam

    sylviam

    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    11
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    Seized? Sorry not familiar with that term. I was wondering if somehow some water got to it, but I couldn't figure out how as I am always careful to avoid water near chocolate.
     
  4. foodpump

    foodpump

    Messages:
    5,053
    Likes Received:
    601
    Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Siezing is what happens when moisture gets into chocolate--it turns lumpy, grainy, and solidifies.  At this stage it is useless for chocolate work, but you were right to make hot chocolate with it, or to use it for baking.

    The moisture can come from water, or steam--especially if you use a double boiler to melt your chocolate.  Also working with chocolate on hot, humid days can have the same effect.
     
  5. sylviam

    sylviam

    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    11
    Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you @foodpump, it was humid the other day. It did make a good cup of hot chocolate though, and I will use the rest in baking. I have one of those small Wilton chocolate melting pots that I use just to melt the chocolate scraps. I thought, at first, there was a problem with the melting pot, so I tried melting it in the tempering machine, but same result. Obviously it was either the humidity or somehow I got some water in the chocolate. It's amazing how maybe only a smidgeon of moisture does this.