Chocolate Pound Cake (question just for fun)

Joined Jun 24, 2015
So I was thinking about pound cake, and I had a thought: if you were to make a chocolate pound cake does that mean you need 1 pound of chocolate? I know it sounds silly, but on the other hand im honestly curious if anyonr has actually tried this...

Joined Apr 21, 2016
What an interesting question!

My guess is if the old school (1:1:1:1) pound cake ratio can be extrapolated out as:

---4 parts flour: 4 parts butter: 4 parts eggs: 4 parts sugar

and a standard brownie ratio could be written out as

---5 parts flour: 4 parts butter: 4 parts eggs: 8 parts sugar: 3 parts unsweetened chocolate

a recipe that goes

---4 parts flour: 4 parts butter: 4 parts eggs: 4 parts sugar: 4 parts semi-sweet chocolate

would get you something along the lines of a heavy brownie rather than a pound cake, particularly since you'd have to use the melting method rather than the creaming method.

I'd love to know if you try it out, though!

Joined Oct 11, 2014
Great breakdown using ratios @Queequeg! Who wouldn't want to be the taste tester on that batch huh? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
I don't like chocolate pound cake, but here is the adaptation specified by Michael Suas (in Bakrrs percentage):

Reduce flour to 75%
Increase cocoa powder to 25%
Add baking powder 2%

Last edited:
Joined Apr 4, 2012
There is a chocolate pound cake in Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible that is quite delicious. She replaces a portion of the flour with unsweetened cooca powder rather than using chocolate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom