chocolate port paired with a chocolate dessert: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by alisha nicole, Apr 4, 2014.

1. mattm

mattm

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That
    That would depends too on the kind of customers your are cooking for, I'm no indulgent to say when it comes to chocolate I am that kind of annoying customer you want to, deep inside, stab in the chest whilst I am nagging =/ lol and you surely will not be unlucky to get lots of chocolate snobs in your place that often if chocolate is not something upon you are building your business. 

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So should dessert just be a piece of chocolate on a plate, so that flavors don't compete?

3. mattm

mattm

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ^ I never meant that, I was addressing a particular chocolate flavor paired with a port that offers a different chocolate flavor, not that interesting when it comes to chocolate, you would rather enhance it than mixing it, because a good chocolate is always a very bold presence in your plate. That doesn't mean though if you do that mix, especially with a port, it will taste awful - not at all - but it will not be that remarkable. People can notice you are mixing two - or more - different breeds of the same bold thing that is chocolate. If you ask them "what flavor did you like the most?" they will always have a choice in mind, otherwise they just have a plain deficient palate to taste chocolate. I tell you that because everybody has a favorite chocolate flavor to the detriment of others. For instance, something extreme and draconian, some people simply hate sweet chocolate and they even consider anything containing less than 70% of cocoa not chocolate. But once again, it always depends on the profile of your customers, if they are happy with a chocolate parade, there you go and that's it :) 

4. chef lenny

chef lenny

Exp:
    At home cook
    I wanted to share this because it help me understand about pairing wines and different foods when I first began learning about cooking.

(It looks like they shrunk it down for the forum. Please let me know if you need the original size to read it.)

Anyway this info-graphic shows what wine pair with foods. Down at the bottom it say foods that are difficult to pair with wine and chocolate is listed as difficult. So I guess do some research, or experiment with different wines along side the desserts to test and see which one you like best.