chocolate plastic

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by chocolatek, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. chocolatek

    chocolatek

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    10
    Hello,
    I made chocolate plastic using melted semi-sweet chocolate and corn syrup. when I tried to make rose petals, it was very sticky and when rolling it in my hands it was melting. Can you tell me what to do and how to correct this ? what went wrong? I followed the recipe step-by-step. Your help is greatly appreciated.
     
  2. mpshort

    mpshort

    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    10
    I work with several different recipes. My favorite:

    1# semi sweet chocolate
    1/2 cup glucose
    2 tsp ice water

    Gently melt the chocolate. Stir in glucose and mix together lightly. Add water. Stir together being careful not to overmix. Spread mixture out thinly and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to ripen overnight.

    Here's another from Toba Garrett:

    1# semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate
    2/3 cup corn syrup

    Here's a few cakes that I did using the first recipe:

    http://www.creativepastries.fws1.com...s/p1010069.jpg

    http://www.thatcakeboard.net/iboard/...pe=post&id=576
     
  3. kthull

    kthull

    Messages:
    205
    Likes Received:
    10
    When I do chocolate plastic work, I have melting problems too. I am cursed with hot hands. Cotton gloves made for chocolate work are helpful, but there's also times when you want a little heat to help bind your individual pieces or creases together.

    It also takes practice making the chocolate plastic. If you over-knead it, it will be crumbly. I also make sure my melted chocolate is not too warm. I've found that if I wrap it when it's a little more than warm, it'll break apart when I re-knead it.

    If you tell us more about your recipe and process, we might be able to help more.
     
  4. chocolatek

    chocolatek

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    10
    Hello,
    I finally got the chocolate right! I used glucose and it worked wonderful. I think it was the corn syrup that was the culprit! I want to thank you all for your help and inputs :) K