chocolate marshmallows

Joined Dec 1, 2015
Sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find a thread on the subject.

I was making marshmallows, egg white type, and noticed I had a bit of white chocolate left over from some decor work.  I thought of making white chocolate marshmallows and added about 3 oz just before turning them out into the pan.  However, the whole mixture collapsed.  It occurred to me, the fat in the chocolate probably killed the egg white foam because there was no emulsifier in there.

Any thoughts on that theory?

I salvaged it by stirring in some whipped cream to make a Bavarian cream-ish thing.   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Joined Dec 1, 2015
@flipflopgirl    Do you agree that is probably the reason?  After doing more research, I found exactly zero recipes that added melted chocolate to marshmallows.  Always cocoa powder.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I would think it was more from weight than fat. Yes,fat will effect whipping of egg whites, but I am assuming that they were already whipped when the white chocolate was added. Fat wouldn't necessarily collapse a delicate structure, but weight would.

Joined Feb 9, 2014
I would think it was more from weight than fat. Yes,fat will effect whipping of egg whites, but I am assuming that they were already whipped when the white chocolate was added. Fat wouldn't necessarily collapse a delicate structure, but weight would.

I pulled out my '84 copy of On Food and Cooking and it seems to agree:

"In any case, yolk and other fats are incompatible with the creation of a good volume albumen foam. Once the foam is formed however, it can be folded gently into the yolks or other fatty mixtures and do a fine job of leavening... This is exactly how souffles and sponge cakes are made."

Joined Dec 1, 2015
Hmmm...interesting.  It was only about 3-4 tablespoons and I added it slowly near the end, when the mix was almost cool enough to pan.

I also thought it was interesting that Google didn't show me any marshmallows recipes with melted chocolate.  Maybe have to dig more.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
Think chocolate mousse. Think chocolate souffle. Both have plenty of fat from chocolate that doesn't kill the whipped egg whites.

Joined Dec 1, 2015
Excellent points.  Well, maybe it will be a mystery.  It certainly wasn't as much chocolate as I put in a soufflé or mousse.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
When you make a mousse or a souffle, do you fold the lighter whipped egg whites into the heavier chocolate mixture, because with the marshmallow; you did the opposite. Get the drift?

Joined Dec 1, 2015
Sure, but that still seems a bit touchy for a couple of ounces of melted white chocolate especially given how thick marshmallow is when it's cool and ready to pan.  You really work it with a spatula to spread it out and nothing happens although I must bow to physics of egg whites.

I can't imagine trying to fold it into the marshmallow.  That stuff is like glue.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif  

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
I am sure there is a recipe out there someplace (prolly my nemesis Pinterest) but you are better than that.

White chocolate is a non flavor anyway IMO.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

mimi

Joined Dec 1, 2015

I am sure there is a recipe out there someplace (prolly my nemesis Pinterest) but you are better than that.

mimi
Blech, Pinterest.

LOL  "White chocolate is not a flavor"   Well, I guess I better cancel your shipment of white chocolate macadamia cookies.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Joined Jun 27, 2012

mimi
Blech, Pinterest.

LOL  "White chocolate is not a flavor"   Well, I guess I better cancel your shipment of white chocolate macadamia cookies.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
I did not say white chocolate will never cross my lips pooley.

Plus I am a macadamia eating fool (not a word there lol ;-) so the shipment is back on.

Right?

mimi

About Pinterest.

I lovelovelove the IDEA of all that minutia gathered in one spot for me to pick and choose from.

Get TONS of ideas for my little hobby involving laces and ribbons and such.

The recipes?

Kinda like MS.

Nothing ever works.

Maybe all on me but knowing how smart and special I am I doubt this very much lol.

m.

Top Bottom