Chocolate in Chili????

Joined Oct 17, 2007
I have been looking for a chili recipe. Mine always seems to be missing something (to me, anyway). My friends and family love my chili, but I haven't made it just right yet. So I am looking through a lot of recipes and I keep seeing chocolate. What's up with that? What does it do? Doesn't it make chili sweet? Granted, they never use a lot. One recipe uses 1 pckg of instant hot chocolate mix. One uses one cube of Mexican chocolate. Please tell me why one would use chocolate in chili, and while your at it, how 'bout pointing me to a good recipe? I want it for tailgate next Saturday and would like to make it Thursday night, refrigerate all day Friday and put it in a crock pot Saturday (just to reheat at the tailgate). I need to make about 5 quarts.

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Chocolate is added to chili for the same reason it goes into Mole' sauce: it lends body, color, and flavor.

I've never heard of using sweet chocolate, though, nor hot chocolate mix (far too much sugar, IMO). In a typical recipe (i.e,, about three quarts), two squares of bittersweet chocolate, or one disc of Mexican chocolate is usually enough.

The hallmark of Mexican chocolate is that there's a bit of cinnamon mixed in.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Mexican dishes contain their chocolate , not sweet chocolate it adds taste, body and color.

Joined Aug 6, 2010
I have added unsweetened cocoa powder to my chili before. It adds a great dimension. I prefer powdered chocolate over chocolate squares, but either will work.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Depending on the recipe, about half a cup of good, strong coffee can also wake up a batch of chili.

Chocolate and hot chilis have been paired together for centuries in South America.

mjb.

Joined Jul 14, 2013
I have this from a chef (brother-in-law). Little of good quality fondant (70 %) chocolate tastes great in chilli dishes.

Joined Jul 16, 2013
In my recipe I use 3/4 oz of semisweet bakers chocolate. Yes it adds slight flavor, a little body, and a touch of color… but most of all the Ph level of the chocolate will counterbalance the acidity of the chili, and spices used.

In regions where a lot of chili is used, the population will consume more chocolate than the rest of us… it kills the heat!

try it out some time… /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Joined Jan 19, 2011
I add cocoa to mine too.  And my secret to great flavor is to roast whole cumin seeds, then crush them.

Joined Jul 16, 2013
I enjoy chocolate in my chili too, adds an extra dimesion of flavour. But be careful not to use chocolate with too much bitterness.

Joined Sep 22, 2013
of course you put chocolate in chili......I put it in my Chicken chili...I have people beg me for my chicken chili, it has all kinds of CRAZY stuff in it.......BUT its the BOMB! YOU create as a cook......and keep creating until it taste AWESOME!

Joined Jun 14, 2013

Why are we getting an influx of resurrected threads lately?
That is a sign of a healthy site----

New members that are exploring the site find an interesting thread and ,in a burst of enthusiasm, respond.

On an informational thread like this one,I think it is good---the information gets updated and newer members get to learn from the archives.

--Mike---

Joined Oct 23, 2008

That is a sign of a healthy site----

New members that are exploring the site find an interesting thread and ,in a burst of enthusiasm, respond.

On an informational thread like this one,I think it is good---the information gets updated and newer members get to learn from the archives.

--Mike---
I agree it isn't really a bad thing. I do think these are as a result of google. For instance search "chocolate in chili" on google and the very first result is this thread. That's great news for cheftalk because their search engine placement is very good, it will bring in new members, but I don't think these are brand new members searching back 4, 5, 6, sometimes 7 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom