chocolate in a tube

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rzn, May 1, 2006.

1. rzn

rzn

Exp:
    At home cook
    i need to pour chocolate in a tube. (about 2" PCV pipe) Was thinking about lining the tube w/ parchment or wax paper rather than messing with the band saw & trying to cut it lenghtwise, then clamping it back to make the mould. Lining seems like a more likely way to keep my fingers.

Line the tube, put on the end cap, pour in the chocolate, let it set, then slide the whole thing out & peel off the paper for a beautiful, round, solid, chocolate thing. (that's the plan...)

What to line with will peel off afterwards? & should I spray w/ anything?

2. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just use acetate(sp?)....any who, its a thin non stick, food grade plastic, or almost "vinyl",pretty much. Fill, set, and remove, then just unroll, should be issue free.

3. rzn

rzn

Exp:
    At home cook
    Where do I find it? Can I use the sheets you'd use to make overheads?

If I can't find it easily, (I live in the boonies) will wax paper or parchment work?

4. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Should be readily available through your supplier. If you google it, I'm sure there are a multitude of sources.

Could be a good improv with a projector film, sure you could Macgyver something. Do a small sample first. Sounds good in theroy.

As far as the whole wax paper thing....I'm not sure. I have had mixed results in the past with just using it to make shapes/forms. Sticking might be a concern, although it has alot to do w/ the quality of chocolate and such.

Good luck, lemme know if the projector method is fruitfull.

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you just need a small amt. of acetate, try your local florist.
    You won't get the same shine with paper.

6. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Don't need pvc pipe, just rubber bands.... For a matte finish, roll up a tube of silicone paper and secure with rubber bands. For a smooth finish you should be able to find acetate any Office Despot or similar places.