chocolate cone problems

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by chefdude, Jan 20, 2005.

1. chefdude

chefdude

I've got some silicone cone molds, like ice cream cone size, and I cannot get my chocolate to unmold without sticking or breaking. I've tempered the chocolate properly. let drain out at room temp., refrigerated to harden and let chocolate contract from sides, etc. I'm using a good quality dark chocolate. Anybody have any :bounce: ideas?

2. windycitypastry

windycitypastry

if it is properly tempered then you shouldn't refridgerate it. Are you coating the cones too thin ? Just athought

3. smiley

smiley

If you are not to thin inside, maybe you are going to fast. In moulding chocolate the tops contract first because they are exposed to the cold air first where as the bottom has less circulation. let it cool thoroughly. any source of the sticking issue is in the same realm.... but from experience I find anything rubber or fiberglass base to not be a good surface for chocolate. If you look at the pieces of broken chocolate there is one question you must ask. Shiney yes or no? If the surface of the chocolate that contacts the surface isn't shiney you have the wrong product. thinking on a molecular level if there are alot of bumps and valleys for the chocolate to form to it will have a rough time contrasting. I have always used a plastic surface to get good releasing results. next time stretch a piece of plastic wrap over a plate and pull it tight with no wrinkles. After you fill your cones pour some on the plastic. when it pops off after being cooled compare.. :cool: