chocolate chips

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cooki, Feb 15, 2006.

1. cooki

cooki

Exp:
    At home cook
    i heard that when you make brownies, and you are putting chocolate chips in them, you should coat them with flour so that they dont sink to the bottom of the batter. is this necessary in any other batter that i put chocolate chips in other than brownies?:confused:

2. cakescraps

cakescraps

Exp:
    Other
    The only time I ever coat chocolate chips, raisins, etc... is when the batter is thin. I have never coated the chips for brownies and never had a sinkage problem. To me, that is just an extra step that isn't necessary. Honestly, unless your batter is on the thin side, (ie. quick breads, cake batter) I wouldn't bother with it. JMHO

3. moreink

moreink

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm trying to think, but I don't believe I've ever coated chocolate chips with flour before adding to brownies. I agree with CakeScraps that it's an unnecessary step for mixes such as that. On the other hand, if I'm adding chopped fruits or dried fruits (chopped appricots and dates, currants or raisins, etc) to anything, I always take a little of the flour to toss to separate them just to be sure they don't lump up in the batter. But that has nothing to do with them sinking to the bottom...Maybe someone else has a different view.