Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by loomchick, Sep 13, 2018.

1. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like making ice cream, especially ice cream with things added to give it texture . . . e.g., nuts, chocolate chips.

For chocolate chips (they need to be rather small), I've been using Hershey's mini semi-sweet chocolate baking chips. Unfortunately, the chocolate chips have a waxy texture when mixed in with ice cream. I suspect it's because these little chocolate chips were designed for baking, not for ice cream.

I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas. Does anyone have suggestions for better chocolate chips for ice cream.

Has anyone tried Regal Foods chocolate flakes topping? The flakes look a little too thin to be folded into ice cream.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...MI2KXAjem23QIViF9-Ch3iAQP9EAQYAyABEgJTc_D_BwE

There's also a source I found online (Nuts.com) that that claim to be chocolate chips for ice cream; however, in the picture they look like they've been swept up off the floor (link below).

https://nuts.com/chocolatessweets/t...MIkc-9xue23QIVDP5kCh3eZQdVEAQYBSABEgKghPD_BwE

2. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Step one: find a good chocolate (look at the fancy bars)

Step two: melt the chocolate and put in a piping bag.

Step three: drizzle on top of churned Ice cream and stir it in to break it up.

This method will make it easier for the chocolate to melt in your mouth. You won’t have to chew it.

drirene likes this.
  3. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But, I want to chew it. I want chocolate chips, not a chocolate swirl.

4. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It hardens.

5. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I doubt it wouldn't harden into the size of chocolate pieces I want. If it's melted and piped into the ice cream in a stream while it's churning, it's not going to produce chocolate chips. I think it would produce a chocolate swirl. Besides, if you've done it this way, you already wrote "You wouldn't have to chew it."

6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You might try the pastry forum....

Could you just buy a bar of dark chocolate and chop it yourself? I feel like whenever I've had mint chocolate chip or chocolate chip ice cream it's usually flakes or small irregular pieces of chocolate, not actual chocolate chips. Just a thought.

drirene and harpua like this.
  7. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks. I had thought about that. What I've been surprised with so far is the waxy texture of the chocolate when it's at a temperature below freezing. The chocolate chips I have found in commercial ice cream doesn't have it . . . but, then I may be grateful that I don't know all of the ingredients of the chocolate portion since I suspect something is added to the chocolate to help the texture when it's so cold. I thought it might be related to the increased likelihood of ice crystallization because homemade ice cream is not typically frozen as quickly as commercial ice cream.

I came across a vague reference about adding coconut or canola oil to soften the chocolate at below freezing temperatures . . . however, there's no mention of proportions. Time to find a chocolate maker.

8. oober

oober

Exp:
    Home cook, but learning
    If you plan to melt, you will break it's temper. Untempered chocolate is much softer than tempered chocolate. A lot of lower cost chocolate uses lecithin/anhydrous milk fat in it as an emulsifier and can give a waxy texture.

9. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of chocolate making and use and you have probably just answered why I'm getting a waxy texture when I've used Hershey's mini chocolate chips. Time to upgrade to something better and try hand-cutting into chips and chunks.