Chocolate chip cookie question...

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cipher, Jan 23, 2006.

1. cipher

cipher

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made my first batch of chocolate chip cookies, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to turn out the way they did. The cookies came out thick the way I wanted them too..not too much spreading. But when I bite into one, I get a crispy exterior, but then the middle is chewy. Should a chewy cookie be chewy all the way through? Also, there was slight browning of the outside of the cookie...imagine that the surface of the cookie is mountain peaks and valleys...the peaks have some slight browning, but not the valleys...so the cookie isn't a uniform color.

2. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Can you post the recipe you used?

3. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    my guess is something to do with the sugar. From what I remember from Cook's magazine, white sugar will crisp your cookie, which is why the outside is a little crispy. On the other hand, sugar also promotes browning, so it's a little befuddling why the cookie wasn't uniform in color. Perhaps that has something to do with heat circulation in your oven? Try using the convection bake setting if your oven has it.

4. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    The cookie sounds perfect to me - yum!

Jock

5. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    why does something that should be so easy to make become so hard. Cookies never turn out right either flat and crisp or fat and cake like. I want cookies like to be crisp like chipa'a'hoy not like littel cakes. No matter which recipe i use they just never turn out right.

6. kelleybean

kelleybean

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think that the worst critic of a cookie is the cookie baker. I make a chocolate chip cookie that everybody snaps up like they are the last cookie that they will eve be able to eat yet I hate the way they come out. They get all flat on me and I would like them to be more fluffy and have more height. Oh well, \like I said, I have never had anything but rave reviews. Go figure.

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  8. kelleybean

kelleybean

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank You so much for your artical on "How to Get the Texture You Want in Your Cookies". The information was extreamly helpful.:)