Chocolate Chip Cookie emergency

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by jgibriano, Aug 27, 2014.

1. jgibriano

jgibriano

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi all!

I was in a rush this morning and thought I would throw together some cookie dough to chill during the day and bake tonight for an occasion tomorrow. 

I followed this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe4.html

EXCEPT - I ran out of white flour! I only had about 3/4 of a cup, so I subbed the rest with Wheat flour. When I tasted the batter before chilling it. It was kind of bitter and overly wheat tasting. is there ANYTHING I can do before I bake these to help them out a little? Will they be awful as is?

any help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    jgibriano

I peeked at the formula. So you put in 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour? To 3/4 cup of APF?

I really don't have a clue on how to fix it.Sorry. They will taste bad or you will discover a great formula/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

3. jgibriano

jgibriano

Exp:
    At home cook
    well it called for 2 1/4cups white flour - I used almost a cup of white flour and 1 1/4 cups of wheat

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    jgibriano

The cookies won't be uneatable. They will just have a different taste and texture. I would just go ahead and bake them. WW flour usually requires a little bit more liquid. So I would pat down the cookies on the pan. Don't leave them balled.

I actually think you may like them. Many people sub WW flour for APF

5. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A bitter taste suggests to me your whole wheat was rancid. Taste some of the plain whole wheat you have left. Throw it out if it's bitter. I don't think you can fix your cookies.

In case you didn't already know- Whole grain flours should be kept in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container to prevent the oil in the germ of the grain from going rancid.

But I agree you should bake at least some anyway and have someone else taste them if possible.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014