chocolate cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cooki, Apr 14, 2006.

1. cooki

cooki

Exp:
    At home cook
    i have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for chambord so that the cake will stay moist. but i read somewhere that some people use syrup?! instead of liquer. i am just wondering how syrup works, and if it does, how can i make it??

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm thinking the writer of that recipe was using the Chambord to stay a little moist him/herself:beer:
    You can absolutely use syrup. Simple syrup is 1/2 water and 1/2 sugar. Bring these to a boil to disolve the sugar granuales and you're ready to go.
    The syrup can also be flavored.
    have fun.
    pan

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Straight chambord can be a bit strong for soaking. If you like the flavor, without as much alcohol, dilute it with syrup.

4. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The simple syrup will also make for easier icing spreading and a smoother finish if thats what you want. You could also use apricot preserves, just bring to a boil and then strain and brush on with a pastry brush.

Regards Cakerookie.........

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I respectfully disagree, cr. Icing spreads just as easily without it. Also, as long as the syrup is fully cooked, it doesn't need straining.

6. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    And I accept your respectful disagreement momoreg. I may have been thinking outside the box when I posted that. I think what I mean't was that the apricot jam would create a hard coating on the cake. De-crumb what I was trying to say. The hard coating would prevent crumbs from getting into your icing. I have read so much on icing smoothness till I think its gone to my head. You know the Viva paper towel deal, some people use the paint guards or edgers. Sorry did not mean to mislead anyone. My bad........

Regards Cakerookie.....