chocolate and Tarragon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by blackandtan, Dec 10, 2004.

1. blackandtan

blackandtan

Has anyone tried to mix chocolate with herbs like in a truffle. i was thinking with tarragon but wanted to know if anyone tried any other herbs with chocolate

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Cinnamon. Try the variety from Ceylon (Sri Lanka); it has lemony hints.

3. miahoyhoy

miahoyhoy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sure, tarragon would work fine. I might add alittle galiano to fortify the licoricy flavor.
    Rosemary and chocolate work well too.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    chipotle and various other chilis....I use orange zest in chocolate alot, not an herb but I think of it in that catagory.

5. dano1

dano1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    tarragon, vanilla, and white chocolate is a favorite combination of mine....:)

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ohhhh geeez, my concept of chocolate has been forever distorted!

7. chefmikesworld

chefmikesworld

Shroom....there are things that I just love about your posts, and now you took it to another level with the bit about chipotles...Man, does the Cheffy Boy love chipotles...

OK...back to the post...

Herbs, spices and chocolate have a long time tradition...for example you can look at the various mole sauces...choc, peanuts, chiles, cilantro, basil, thyme, oregano, cumin y mas...how can you go wrong with chocolate???????

The secret in using it is to compliment the chocolate, not to overpower it, as in any foods, and I totally agree with the citrus-scented chocolate like with orange, lemon, lime...

Smoky chiles like chipotle or chiles anchos...

mmm...How can you go wrong....

Just my two cents...

Cheffy

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to make a flourless choc. cake spiked with Ancho, served with a Cinnamon Tulie. It was awesome!!!

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    ummmm, chocolate, anchos and cinnamon.....
    not to digress from add ins but do you guys explore chocolates....ie...Valharona varieties, Callebaut, Single Estates are fairly hot now....trully I like blends better than any single estate I've tried....
    Michael Cuizel has interesting choc, as does Scharffen berger.....
    My mom brought chocolate balls from Santa Fe KAKAWA chocolate house traditional chili chocolate drink (scharffen Berger Miel de agave, ancho chili and vanilla).
    Vosage has a funky line of chocolate with crazy add ins....Red Fire Bar (mexican ancho y chiptle chili peppers, ceylon cinnamon, and 55% dark chocolate)....www.VosagesChocolate.com there is a wasabi one that did not work for me, but the truffles are pretty special.
    So, I guess what I'm saying is if you use a specific brand/blend mention that when you talk add ins. NOT every chocolate is the same. :p ;)