Chef Forum banner

chocalot covered brownies

1K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  dagger 
#1 ·
Never tried this before but I want to. What kind of chocolate do I use? Can't be melted Hershey bars or bakers chocolate so what kind. I have been in Wal-Mart around the holiday baking section have seen this white chocolate in square blocks but can it be any good. Is their a special chocolate and does it come in milk chocolate, can't be coco.

#3 ·
If you want a soft chocolate layer on top use a buttercream or as @brianshaw suggests, a ganache.
If you want it to be slightly firm with a bit of tooth just dump a thick layer of chocolate (dark or semi sweet or white or even milk chocolate will work) chips on top when the pan is still hot from the oven.
Allow to melt and then spread with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon and allow to cool.
Hershey bars would be awesome IME!

mimi

#7 ·
The method I recommended needs no cream.
Just dump the chocolate on the brownies as they come from the oven then spread.
If you use a good brand of chips you will have a decent snap when it has cooled.
Adding cream sounds like a ganache .... if that is what you want to do find a ratio for the firmness you desire.
Trying to shoot from the hip may leave you with a sticky mess...esp when mixing different chocolates as they all have different requirements based on % of cocoa butter.

mimi

#9 ·
Hi Dagger. I believe that product is a “confectionary coating”, prob made of cocoa powder and some sort of veg oil. That’s likely where the problem is. Did you let the mixture cool before you judged it? For ganache you really should be using a real chocolate, semi-sweet or darker. It thickens as it cools.

#10 ·
I saw video some one use something that looked like that but i didn't notice the lite word when i ordered it. It was lighter in color and thinner so i did add more chocalot and butter. Did get thicker and setup on the cheese cake, just poured it over and stuck in fridge. It wasn't runny like water and did stick to whisk so i guess tell tomorow how well i did. First time using anything like this for me

#12 ·
We had the cheese cake yesterday and that part turned out fine, swirled some raspberry jam into it. The chocalot topping not so well. Cake kind of fell in the middle so it held a lot of the chocalot but when cut the cake kind of drained out. Some remained but most just ran, it was thick but didn't remain. Tasted good

#14 ·
Your topic header was for brownies but you ended up making cheesecake?
Different animal altogether.
Sounds like you had a bad CC recipe/technique.
Search and read @phatch 's threads and posts re cheesecake.
Until I started tweaking my formula and process based on his tips my CC was only 'ok"....now my end product is stellar (IMHO lol).

mimi

#15 ·
The cheese cake wasn't the problem it was the ganache that failed. Tested it on the cheese cake first, never would have stayed on the brownies. I want it to form a cover for whatever i use it on. Just like them little cakes that come in the box at christmas, petites i think they are called

#18 ·
On my brownes i followed the directions given here and just let the chocolate discs melt on top of the hot brownes. Let cool in the fridge and worked much better but my old problem was cutting after chocolate setup. Not smart it all cracked but they turned out really good tasting, much like funny bones without peanut butter. Bought copper chef brownies pan and it work out really good, never could get them cut even but now with the insert can. Thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.