Chipotle sauce from dried chipotle?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Tonight I'm searing some pork tenderloin medaillons, and sauteeing some potatoes.

I would like to try to make a chipotle sauce for the pork, but not from canned chipotle in adobo, rather from dried chipotle. I recently made such a sauce with dried guajillo and it was nice and simple (no added flavors): basically I roasted the guajillos, then soaked them in water, then mashed them through a strainer, then seasoned (salt only). That's it.

I'd like to attempt the same thing with the chipotle. Good idea? Bad idea? Any comments? My guess is I don't need to roast the chipotle first, but maybe that'll help release the flavor anyway?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Not a bad idea, but they're too intense by themselves to be anything but overwhelming.  You'll want some other things in your sauce.

BDL

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I ended up putting 4 chipotle peppers in warm water, mixed it, and strained them. I added this puree (about a tablespoon) to 3 cups of chicken stock and reduced, then seasoned. However the result was so freaking spicy it wasn't useful as a sauce, so I deglazed the pan where I seared the pork medaillons with white wine, and added one tablespoon of the reduced chipotle/stock, and that was my sauce - not much sauce at all, just a dribble on each medaillon, but it was good!

Joined Oct 23, 2008
Yea to me they are little too hot. You might consider next time maybe a 1 to 5 ratio of chipotle to ancho to give you the deep earthy flavor and still have some kick to it.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Mon frere,

Sorry if my response is so late.  There were "technical difficulties" I thought belong to CT but simply required a reboot.

What you created was a very concentrated salsa picante (hot sauce).  Use it to add sweet heat and smoke to other sauces.  A reduced cream sauce might do very well as would a cold creme-fraiche garnish; any of the typical American style barbecue sauces whether made with ketchup or stock; a pan reduction; etc.

BDL

Latest posts

Top Bottom