Chinese Cleaver - CCK Small or ZWILLING J.A. Henckels

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by trynix, Oct 17, 2018.

1. trynix

trynix

Exp:
    New
    Hello everyone,

I've been reading alot on this forum, and very motivated to up my game when it comes to home cooking.

I had a question regarding a starter Chinese cleaver, and am comparing the CCK Small Cleaver and Zwilling J.A. Henckels. They are both priced at $79.95, hence would appreciate any experience or input on which of the two to go for.

Thank you!

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    chrislehrer likes this.
  3. trynix

trynix

Exp:
    New
    Dear millionsknives,

Thank you so much for your response and the link! This'd be a great starter knife for me :)

In terms of caring for it, any special tips? Should I apply mineral oil (or as some suggest, vaseline) whenever I store it?
    Also how do you store your knives - on a magnetic strip on the wall, or some holder?

Thanks again.

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Use the knife regularly. After use rinse with HOT water, dry. Do this ASAP when you are done cutting. It should build a patina in no time and become less reactive. I don't oil knives I use regularly, only for long term storage.

If you do see rust starting hit it with some 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

For storage.. it's such a wide blade that it is hard to pull it off my magnetic wall rack.

-I keep it in a custom block for cleavers. https://cheftalk.com/threads/custom-knife-block.89847/#post-540670
    -You can also just get a knife guard and keep it in a drawer.
    -Or a cleaver stand? I'm not recommending this, just to show https://www.chefknivestogo.com/weclst.html . You can make something like that yourself for $2 or free if you have scrap wood.

5. Jason Drückenmiller

Jason Drückenmiller

Exp:
    Knife Sharpener
    One thing with Chinese cleavers ( I have four) what is it's purpose....most of them are used for veg.....but if you get a heavy cleaver then you can go through bones etc.....I love my heavy cleaver by CCK but I use a nakiri for veg (total personal preference)