Chinese Barbecue master video

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
The vertical oven and sliding rack are good tools I hadn't considered. I usually consider this cooking horizontally with more amateur equipment. And a smaller vertical oven for the birds.

Intersting management techniques for protecting the head and fat bubbles as well as much more perforation of the skin than I suspected.

Seems an endangered skill set.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
The vertical oven and sliding rack are good tools I hadn't considered. I usually consider this cooking horizontally with more amateur equipment. And a smaller vertical oven for the birds.

Intersting management techniques for protecting the head and fat bubbles as well as much more perforation of the skin than I suspected.

Seems an endangered skill set.
Great video. The sound when he cut through the head of the first roast pork, beautiful. This video made me hungry from all the awesome food but kinda sad because even though this dude has great skills it kinda felt like he didn't enjoy it and was a little resigned to it being his fate in life. I'm not sure how I feel about the thought of masters in various trades only doing it because there isn't an alternative.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, I got that vibe that this was not his passion and that it was his handicap for language weakness.

The apprentice seemed to appreciate the skill but I predict a justified hike in prices when he takes over.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I love the kitchen gadget for covering the head so it doesn't burn. Think I can get one at Williams Sonoma? ;)

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Yeah, I got that vibe that this was not his passion and that it was his handicap for language weakness.

The apprentice seemed to appreciate the skill but I predict a justified hike in prices when he takes over.

Yep, because I bet that same food in some upscale gentrified area would be a lot more expensive. I'm sure it would be hard for the current master to bridge out like that, especially with a language barrier.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I got to become friends with someone who has a walk in oven like that. It's not just the language barrier but the cultural disconnects. She runs a deli, a full Hong Kong style menu plus a full Vietnamese menu. One day when I was in there a customer was confused to the point of getting defensively hostile about "chow mein." She wanted "traditional" noodles and I had to step in to try and smooth the situation. In the end the correct noodles were ordered.

Mind you, this is a woman entrepreneur who wasn't born here, reads and writes Mandarin, English, and Vietnamese, and speaks Cantonese. I haven't tested her French yet though. :) She is among the hardest working people I know spending 12 hours a day in the kitchen every day. I wonder if the biases against being a woman, immigrant, non native speaker, service industry, all play against her.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I got to become friends with someone who has a walk in oven like that. It's not just the language barrier but the cultural disconnects. She runs a deli, a full Hong Kong style menu plus a full Vietnamese menu. One day when I was in there a customer was confused to the point of getting defensively hostile about "chow mein." She wanted "traditional" noodles and I had to step in to try and smooth the situation. In the end the correct noodles were ordered.

Mind you, this is a woman entrepreneur who wasn't born here, reads and writes Mandarin, English, and Vietnamese, and speaks Cantonese. I haven't tested her French yet though. :) She is among the hardest working people I know spending 12 hours a day in the kitchen every day. I wonder if the biases against being a woman, immigrant, non native speaker, service industry, all play against her.

Biases how so?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I would assume kuan is calling out biases against foreigners, women, and so on.

Top Bottom