Chillis

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hubuk, Oct 13, 2001.

1. hubuk

hubuk

Exp:
    At home cook
    Eighteen months ago I had never cooked with chillis. Then I came across Simon "Crazychef" Howlett and my whole life changed.

I now use the red chillis you get in UK supermarkets regularly. I would like to consider using other chillis but cannot find out from anywhere what they look like and what they are suited to.

Its all right having a name but unless you can see a picture it is a bit meaningless.

This is an image I created of the type of chilli I use:

[​IMG]

Can anyone enlighten me? I would like to publish a page on my web site giving such information together with pictures so if anyone knows of a suitable resource or would like to create one let me know.

2. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  3. hubuk

hubuk

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks chef

That is an excellent resource. I saved the page about chillis and converted it into a pdf file which enabled me to print out my own nine page chilli file (to carry with me when out shopping).

I must go and see what they also have about herbs as it would be usefuil to have a herb guide, especially to the more unusual or less used ones. For instance I have never been able to get hold of Chervil (is it called the same in the USA - cilantro and coriander are the same thing but we know them by different names).

4. hubuk

hubuk

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have just quickly had a look at the link to Cook's Thesaurus and the coverage on herbs is also excellent.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Good site on chiles, I saw the Holland pepper, but I did'nt see or overlooked the Tabassco peppers. Here in Texas they grow well and are widely used. A very small holland like pepper 1-2". This is a staple here, we put these in brine in bottles and use it to accent foods.

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    There are 2 really good posters out there showing the different kind of chiles. One is on fresh chiles and the other is devoted to dry chiles. They are pretty popular and probably not hard to find. Both are by Mark Miller (chef of Red Sage and Coyote Cafes). Also Miller's cookbook, "Coyote Cafe" has great desriptions of both dried and fresh chiles along with their flavor profiles, though there are no pictures.

8. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    HubUK-
    You might find it interesting to look at

www.chilepepper.com

It's a magazine devoted to the hot stuff.

Capsacin will sort of grow on you.

If your tongue doesn't fall off! ;)

Mike