Chicken....

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by dectra, Jul 24, 2017.

1. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay....so I'm used to a good brine / buttermilk soak on my bird before seasoning & frying. Had someone tell me they don't do that anymore, but would 'pre-poach' the chicken first, let cool *then* flour & fry. He worked on a line that did this to speed things up; but I don't see how it could be any faster than dropping the Chicken in the deep fryer.

Thoughts?

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just like you said he's doing it for speed not quality. I have had some smaller operations that they did the precooking method. In most cases they did it to make sure the chicken was fully cooked. Your way is right! I also do the buttermilk as a brine and it helps the dry breading to stick to the chicken.......ChefBillyB

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    IMO people, and that definitely includes pro-cooks, often seem to have what
    borders on paranoia about accidently undercooking chicken. Sure, safety first,
    but if the bird ends up dry and rubbery, its a fact the cook has cashed in their
    paranoia for a ruined main dish. I'm with both ChefBilly and you, brine season, fry.

4. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you have access to a circulator, I've seen a one of the best chefs in my area do about 40 degrees C in buttermilk/aromatic bags before breading and frying to great success. Works nicely in 350 F fryer oil where you usually have to drop the temp to 275-325 for anything larger than wings.

5. dectra

dectra

Exp:
    Home Cook

Interesting....hadn't considered the circulator as a compromise between methods. I guess the whole 'precook' thing specifically on chicken is what wierded me out. I know you par cook some things, but on Chicken it seemed a bit odd to, in effect, boil it, and then try to fry it.

6. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't really get the point of sous vide for a traditional southern fried chicken. Sous vide is for precise temp control, and to allow you to do things that you can't do with any other cooking method. Cooking a chicken at just over 100F seems like an unnecessary step. If you are starting with cold chicken from the fridge, whether par cooked or not, you are still going to take about the same amount of time to reach internal doneness for fried chicken. Since 104f is too low a temp to help pasteurize the chicken, I don't see what you'd be gaining.

Fully cooking the chicken goes the opposite direction. You make it "safer" and quicker, I guess, but most likely leads to overcooking and sub par results.

I guess if you aren't cook/chill the breast though, you instead go directly from the circulator to the breading, to the oil, then maybe it could help even the cooking. The only thing is then you still have to wait for the chicken to get to 104F, which it wouldn't really do any faster in a circulator than a fryer.