chicken pot pie using canned biscuits

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Taking a can of flaky biscuit and peeling them into to sections. Flattening them out and using half to line bottom of pan and other for crust top on filling. Would the bottom biscuits cook with the filling on them or should they be precooked? I'm sure the top crust wouldn't matter. Filling would be cubed cooked chicken, frozen veggies, onion, drained canned mushrooms and cream of chicken soup low sodium. Maybe some cream or milk if too dry.

Last edited:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
If the inside is sealed using eggwash and there is enough fat in the crust then it will cook. Grease the bottom of the pan also that will help it crisp up properly

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Eggwash, sealing the biskets that would prevent the from becoming soggy? I would brush melted or rub butter into the pan if greasing it will help them brown. What temp would this cook best at, one printed on the can or something else?

Thanks for the help

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Boy I would not know with canned biscuits. But with my biscuits at home it's 450F and they're done in a few minutes. This though is different, a lot of variables come into play. Are you heating your soup and veggies together or are you putting it in cold. This would be the major variable when it comes to oven temp.

I think you're on your own here on this one. My guess is 375F is safe, but I would not be able to predict results.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Consider a top-biscuit only chicken pot pie. No soggy bottoms! Canned biscuits are very different from scratch-made but generally a rather good convenience product.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It was originally posted in the outdoor cooking forum when we had that. Then it got merged into the cooking forum in one of the changeovers.

And yes. That was top crust only as it were.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 13, 2012
I only do top crust only (who needs all those extra carbs?). In the case of biscuits get the flaky ones, don't flatten them they may not rise as intended. If you want flat use pie dough I find it works quite well.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
The bottom biscuits would cook, but I have a feeling that they would end up soggy and more like a "dumpling" than a bottom crust. Nothing wrong with that, if you like that sort of thing, which I probably would. Your upper crust should end up crusty on top, but again, the bottom, of the top crust, will probably be soggy.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I too am a top crust only man, that crust gets soggy enough inside.

Biscuit dough is easy and all I care to attempt, but I use half the recommended amount of baking powder, and brush oil on the top. If everything is precooked and warm then 400F is right, or maybe even 425 if stuff is hot, I'd say 375 if coming out of the fridge.

Top Bottom