Chicago Restaurants/Eateries

Joined Dec 6, 2006
This is sad no listings for Chicago restaurants.

Chicago is arguably the hottest culinary scene right now and not even a mention?

Well here goes...

Scylla Restaurant:
1952 N. Damen
773-227-2995

Chef Stephanie Izard is a modern renaissance woman of culinary arts! Between her talent and that of her Sous Chef Brian Beverly they turn out amazingly yummy creations that please the palette in a very hip fun neighborhood. The space is super cool and during the week you can walk-in and be seated fairly fast.

Sola Restaurant
3868 N. Lincoln Avenue
773-327-3868

Chef Carol Wallack is the goddess of California/Hawaiian cuisine. This fun California Surfer girl turns out some very mouth-watering choices. Her Beef Tenderloin is awesome.

Pops for Champagne
601 N. State Street
312-266-7677

Chef Andre Christopher is a class act turning out delightfully wonderful dishes despite the main focus of Pops being more of a champagne lounge and only 25% of their business is food.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Been to Scylla and had a good meal there. Also been to Carol's first restaurant but have yet to make it to her new place. Most recently ate at Avenues.

Joined Dec 6, 2006
I have never been to Avenues but I want to. Chef Graham Elliott Bowles was a Food & Wine Best Chef and people I know have raved about it. My biggest motivation for restaurant going though is being invited by the chef.

Pops, Scylla and Sola are all my customers.

Joined Dec 6, 2006
I work days Mon - Fri at Chefwear and do evening and weekend catering jobs plus I will be starting soon at Potash Brothers Supermarket's kitchen doing prepared foods and studying under their Corporate/Executive Chef to learn my fun-da-MENTALS on weekends.

Joined May 14, 2001
For my money, Paul Kahan has got what's goin' on in Avec and Blackbird. I'm also a big fan of Lula.

Joined Dec 6, 2006
Paul Kahan is a class act too. I think there may be a third restaurant in development since he just hired a Chef De Cuisine recently named Michael Sheerin for Blackbird.

Joined Apr 12, 2005
they do a good job at Sola, Avec and Blackbird. Even though I've cooked for Stephanie many times and worked with one of her expatriots, I've yet to dine at Scylla. I guess the stars just haven't been in alignment.

my favorite nicer spot for a cheap and easy dinner is francesca's forno on north, damen and milwaukee. Never revolutionary, always absolutely freeking delicious. In short, everything that I want a weekday dinner to be.

Mredikop,
good luck at your new job - cooking sure beats retail.

Erik.

Joined Dec 6, 2006
Francesca's is good and Forno is likely the best of the bunch. Chef Laco is a very traditionalist and proficient chef.

...and yes cooking beats the **** out of sales. :smiles:

Joined Nov 6, 2004
Hi Mike,

If you look down near the bottom of the page you'll see display options. For the Midwest Restaurants forum this is set to get posts only back one month (why, I'm not sure). If you change this option you'll find the other posts.

dan

Latest posts

Top Bottom