Chicago City Council Implements Ban on Foie Gras

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by nicko, Apr 27, 2006.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Apparently it carries a fine of $250.00 - $500.00 per incident.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...oiegras27.html

I will be opening up a Foie Gras speakeasy later this month. For those interested you will need $50.00 bucks and the password to get in. :D

Is veal next?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can't believe that! What an utter waste of time and taxpayers money!! Just another way government is trying to step in and dicate our morality for us. I think these idiots should be taken out and shot!

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It might do wonders for business at the suburban restaurants! I can see it now: a tasting menu of the world's greatest foie gras....

Nicko, sign me up for membership in your speakeasy. My dear husband will take a pass, though. ;)

4. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Veal?
    Chicken? (that isn't free-range)
    Milk?
    Pork?

This just in... from the Chicago Tribune

5. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here is a copy of the email I sent to every council member this morning. I suggest that everyone else also weigh in with the Chicago City Council, before they, and others, start banning other items also.

Sure you may agree with them that foie gras is inhumane, but do you really want government making those decisions for you? Once it starts where does it stop. I urge all of you to bombard the council's emails with letters like this. Let them know that chefs and people all across the country won't stand for such law-making.

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I propose a ban on voting idiots into office!:eek: Oh what is our world coming to?:( Thank god I won't live forever, the future is getting too scary (as is the present!)

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    had foie last Friday at Whole Foods...wonder if they've removed it from WF in Chi town.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ...or vote for! :crazy:

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It's just truly amazing that we can overlook the fact that there is a huge number of parents here in the US force feeding fast food to their children, but we are concerned about the ducks. Take a trip to the McDonalds farm where the strap up and hoist the cattle above ground as to achieve zero movement while the force feed themto put on weight. I luv stuff like this, thank you.
    pan

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Truly a shame.

Sign me up Nicko.

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chicago, or Illinois in general... home to possibly the most corrupt govt. in the history of the United States.

12. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I haven't heard back from any of the City Council. What a bunch of chickens!!!

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    a bunch of geese and ducks if you ask me!

14. crazytatt

crazytatt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    EXACTLY, GREAT post!

All part of the dumbing down of america.

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    "It's just truly amazing that we can overlook the fact that there is a huge number of parents here in the US force feeding fast food to their children, but we are concerned about the ducks. Take a trip to the McDonalds farm where the strap up and hoist the cattle above ground as to achieve zero movement while the force feed themto put on weight."

Farmer's will tell you that the animal's flesh will reflect what they eat.....if we were to eat McDonald's force fed (are they really forced or just addicted?) critters would their flesh taste like grease? Think searred with a special sauce, possibly side salad as garnish a few crispy fries for balance.

You know years ago I would have joked about eating small fattened children (tongue in cheek) but with so many international members I'd hate to have them think poorly of Americans....fruit loops flavored, french fry fattened...with a slight multivitamin aftertaste.

16. tigerwoman

tigerwoman

I guess I am ahead of the curve on this one. check out my tagline...

I saw a quote from Mayor Daley

Mayor Daley put it in proper perspective "Our children are being killed in the streets and we're debating and creating laws about food."

What will be next?

17. expatc

expatc

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I serve about 30 lbs. of Foie Gras a week and I think I will just keep doing it, though not in Chicago I guess. This really is the definition of "the sublime to the ridiculous".

18. culinarymd

culinarymd

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    All,
    This is what I sent to Alderman Moore. He is supposed to be the one who championed the banning of foi gras. So, if you want to give him a piece of your mind as I did, go for it:

http://www.ward49.com/site/epage/6391_322.htm

Alderman Moore,
    Why would you ban Foi Gras? It's a food just like any other. Since the beginning of time we humans have consumed a variety of food items that some like and some don't. Some people, for example, like brains. I don't. But that doesn't give me the right to ban it. Why would you take away a person's right to choose his/her own food? What's next? I really like ice cream. Are you going to ban that too? I hope your ban doesn't spread here to Washington State. I'm sending this link to all my chef friends so they can give you, "the champion" for the cause of banning foi gras, a piece of their mind too.

19. godfather_chef

godfather_chef

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Here's what i sent him,

I just don't understand why foie gras was banned. Yes, I know that some of the ways that it is cultivated are 'questionable', but at the same time, so are the way chickens are rasied. Oh, and what about veal? Some cows also live horrible lives. As do many other animals. Heck, even vegetables are grown quie close together and sprayed with chemicals, should we get rid of those too?

20. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Keep it up! I want to see everyone here email the council. If you are against foie gras, fine. That is your decision, but you still should be scared by this kind of "law making". These people want to dictate your morality for you. Don't let it happen!