Chicago area culinary schools - Accelerated

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by flychef41, Sep 25, 2010.

1. flychef41

flychef41

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello,

I'm coming up on 30 years old and still maintain a professional career as an airline pilot, however I want to step it up in the culinary world during my free time.  My schedule allows me flexibility and time to take classes at a local culinary school, but I am not looking for any fancy program, maybe just a certificate program.  I plan on using my skills to start a catering or food truck business in the next 2-3 years. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for places in Chicago?  Thank you.

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you considered a community college? Of course there is always Kendall, which isn't a community college, but certainly has a very upstanding reputation; perhaps there are 'after-hours' and weekend classes available.

3. flychef41

flychef41

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm looking into the certificate program at Kendall but not sure of the community colleges.  I'll look into those.  Thanks for the reply.

4. ras1187

ras1187

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Washburne is a reputable school part of the City Colleges of Chicago.

They have a "basic" and "advanced" certificate course, as well as a full AA program.  I also want to add that their tuition is pretty affordable when you put it in comparison to what the Private Schools charge.

http://kennedyking.ccc.edu/washburne/program_costs.asp

I sincerely urge you to check it out!  Best of luck from a fellow Chicagoain!

5. jtobin625

jtobin625

Exp:
    Other
    Hey Ras, long time no see. 

Flychef, I am visiting Washburne this Wednesday so if you should have any questions about it, feel free to get in touch with me or I can get you the contact info for the Director there. 

6. theunknowncook

theunknowncook Banned

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. yuns555

yuns555

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    i just saw this thread... anyway, Im there studying garde manger. the person to talk to is rhonda purwin.

8. jtobin625

jtobin625

Exp:
    Other
    I visited this Wednesday and having seen the kitchens, meeting with some of the faculty, and knowing the cost of the program, you should definitely look into Washburne.