Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bettyr, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bettyr

bettyr

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have been tweaking this recipe for some time and my husband says that now it's perfect. So I thought I'd share my perfect cookie recipe LOL...

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

4- ounce stick of salted butter

7- ounces shortening

1- pound brown sugar

4- ounces white sugar

1/4- cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons vanilla

1 whole large egg

2 large egg yolks

1 pound + 4 ounces bread flour

2 teaspoons salt

4 teaspoons baking powder

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

8 ounces finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325°

In a large mixer bowl, on medium speed, cream butter, shortening and sugars until very light and fluffy…about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the liquids one at a time and beat well after each.

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients and stir well to distribute the ingredients.

A little at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. When all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, add the nuts and chocolate chips; by this time your mixer bowl may be full so you may have to stir them in by hand.

Using an ice cream scoop make dough balls, 2 ounces each and place 6 balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes. Cool cookies on a cooling rack by sliding the parchment paper off the cookie sheet onto the rack. Store in airtight container.

Makes 40 cookies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Betty R, I so look forward to trying this recipe, as your yellow cake has been such a hit in our home. 

I can't wait for more of your recipes, thank you!!

3. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    These look wonderful.  Thanks!

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Betty R, I printed out your recipe last night to put in my collection, but noticed the measures are in ounces.  I presume these are ounces by weight, not volume ounces, right?  I have a digital scale that can also do ounces, but want to make sure they;re not volume ounces (my measuring cups often have ounces, usually used for liquid).

I also noticed that these are made with part butter and part shortening.  Is there a particular reason you have shortening in there?  I would normally use butter (shortening doesn;t even exist here unless you go scouting in some foreign food stores) and wondered if there was a reason for the chewiness tied to the shortening.  I always substitute butter for shortening, but since you seem to do some really good recipe-making, you may have had a specific quality in mind that shortening gives that butter doesn't

thanks

5. bettyr

bettyr

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Your welcome, hope you enjoy....

Yes, the ounces are by weight....

The reason for the butter/shortening mix is....the butter is for flavor but it has a lot of water in it and if you use all butter the cookies spread out too much during baking. You need a more solid fat than just butter to help them hold their shape but stay moist and chewy. You can sub lard (rendered pork fat) if you have that.