cherry cordials / chocolate covered sour cherries

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by tralfaz, Sep 17, 2017.

1. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    20 yrs in tiny and large kitchens
    I have a batch of brandied dark cherries in the works to use for cherry cordials (dipped in fondant, then couverture). The thought just occurred to me to try brandying some frozen pie cherries. Anyone ever try something like this? Brandied frozen cherries, choc covered sour cherries, etc.? Any comments on flavor, texture and such? Will brandied frozen cherries be firm enough to handle? Sounds like a nice Black Forest gateau kind of flavor to me.

Hmm... I wonder what a brandied sour cherry encased in buttercream, then dipped would be like.

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    You could try with the frozen but when frozen the juice crystalizes and tears the berry membranes (then you end up with mushy fruit)...good enuf for a cobbler or a jam but not much else.
    It took me more than a few tries (brandied cordials) but the work was worth it.

mimi

3. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    The cordials are amazing. Hard work, but a joy to eat. I wonder if there's a way to firm up frozen cherries. I've tried Lebovitz's candied dark cherries. Basically cherries in a heavy syrup, and that does make firm (ish) cherries. Maybe I'll experiment.

4. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    OK, so I've got some test batches going for the brandied frozen sour cherries.

One batch was simmered in heavy syrup 2 days in a row, a shortened version of glace cherries, then in brandy.
    Second batch was semi dried in oven similar to the italian booze preserved cherries amarene sotto spirito.
    Third batch I just mixed still frozen cherries with sugar and brandy to see what that is like.

I'll check on them in a week or so and report on them. I don't know if any will stand up to the fondant and choc process, but at least they'd taste nice on ice cream.

Apparently most maraschino cherries are brined in calcium bisulfite to firm up and bleach them. I think I'll skip that step.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. tralfaz

tralfaz

Exp:
    Cherry Report:

The oven dried cherries were firmest (and smallest)
    The cherries that were frozen and soaked in brandy and sugar were a little less firm
    The glace cherries were the softest

I didn't notice any difference in flavor. As far as the bite test, I think I prefer the frozen/soaked ones. I don't know if they will handle well for the fondant/choc step, but their eating texture seemed a little more pleasant. The oven dried ones seemed to have a slightly odd, firm, non-fruit texture that poached dried fruit can have.