Cherries In Wine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dc sunshine, Nov 28, 2010.

1. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Came across what looks to be an interesting recipe to use wine in a slightly different way (to me) in cooking.  Haven't tried it, but Abe's question in another thread about cooking with wine sparked my interest.

It comes from a local store's quarterly free cookbook (Woolworths Christmas Edition 2010).I reckon it could make a nice gift if you are that way inclined.

Here 'tis:

1 Vanilla Bean

750ml (1 bottle) Rose

1/3 cup demerara sugar (or white caster sugar )

several strips of orange rind, no pith

1 kg(say 2lb) of  cherries

1.  Split vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape our the seeds  Add scraped bean plus seeds  into a saucepan with rose (sorry I dont know how to do the slants an the "e")., sugar and orange rind.  Stir over medium heat  until sugar has dissolved and mixture has come to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

2.  Add cheries and simmer gently for  a further 5 minutes.  Transfer cherries to a sterilised warmed jar using a slotted spoon (i.e. they are drained). Boil the liquid for another 8 minutes.  Pour the liquid over the cherries and seal the jar.

It sounds like something that could be a good Holiday gift.  The magazine also suggest that the cherries can be used in a mille feuille with  custard and whipped cream, or to make up with softened icecream then re-frozen.  Of course, they need to be stoned. Yum Yum!  I guess you could also use canned cherries if they are not available fresh where you are, less cooking time would be involved I expect.  Am going to give this one a go for certain once the cherries are fully ripe this year.  They are a bit unripened still...waiting patiently.