Chefs hang up their stars

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by canadianfem, Sep 12, 2005.

1. canadianfem

canadianfem

I just read this article on the weekend in our local Ottawa newspaper about restaurants giving up their Michelin stars to save money. Many restaurants find it difficult financially to maintain the high standards of being a 2 or 3 star restaurant. One restaurant in particular Aux Armes de France gave up his 3 stars as he felt he wouldn't make it through the year if he maintained that 3 star status.

http://www.aux-armes-de-france.com/restau.htm

He was still then able to offer great food at reasonable prices (without the truffles). It made it affordable for many then to enjoy his great cuisine. I assume there is a constant worry when you are a 3 star restaurant about maintaining that level of quality and service?

Is anyone working at 2 or 3 star restaurant....is it a great pressure to maintain those standards? I would love to hear all your opinions on the topic:)

Curiously yours,

2. plongeur

plongeur

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I work in a restaurant in Avignon, France, where the Chef took a deliberate decision not to try for a Michelin star; sure, one might come his way but the price (in cash terms) of the service, quality of plates needed and so on, ingredients (like lots of truffles) would make reasonable priced menus difficult. Not that you can't get a star without the right crockery, but the biggest problem for him was the extra staff he'd need to get it all right - normally we do 40-ish covers per service with 3 cooks and me washing up. You'd need to double that for stars.
    Another restaurant next door to where I live lost its single star three or four years ago. It's still one of the best restaurants in town, but the guy who runs it, whom I've met, says losing the star was fantastic for reducing his stress levels.

3. canadianfem

canadianfem

For me I wouldn't even look for a Michelin star at a restaurant. I go to restaurants that I've heard good things about or just ones I want to check out for curiosity sake. I said to my husband last night that I have had "spectacular" meals and could not tell you if they had a star or not. I just know the food and service was amazing. I think its hard to rate "delicious" with a star hehehehe.

I've heard many are giving up the stars and I'm sure there will be more to come. I guess I won't miss what I never really noticed. I would never pick a restaurant based on the number of Michelin stars it has but through word of mouth a reputation will ring clear. I do read restaurant reviews but still hold minimal weight with them. I just enjoy reading the wonderful descriptions that food writers can come up with.

Thanks so much for your response....I look foward to hearing more.