Chefs cleaning toilets

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by capricciosa, May 20, 2018.

1. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The fumes, odors and mists come from the cleaning agents. I don't know about you, but we use commercial cleaning chemicals, one (Spartan NABC) in a spray bottle to clean walls and tile, around toilets and urinals. Another, a urine cleaner and odor neutralizer in a spray bottle to remove urine stains and odors from the floor and grout around toilets and urinals. That's where the mist comes from that can get all over your clothes. We also use a mop and floor cleaner, sometimes with bleach on the floors. Tell me that the last time you used bleach to clean you didn't come away smelling from it.

I suppose if you consider restroom cleaning flinging around a damp mop then I can see your point.

2. capricciosa

capricciosa

Exp:
    Professional Baker, Butcher, Garde Manger
    Which is why there is a hand-washing sink at the entrance to the kitchen and FDA standards require double-washing upon entering a food prep area

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    This is blooming into quite the debate.

Here's a test. In the middle of the next health inspection, send one of the cooks to clean the restrooms and have them return to the line while the inspector is still there and make sure the inspector sees it happen. I don't think the inspector will say "hey....what a great idea to cut costs!"

This is not a question of whether or not cleaning bathrooms is beneath any chef or cook. Its a simple matter of risk and sanitation. We do not take such risks in this profession. Period. Sadly, however, it happens.

If any of you have been trained to believe that such risks are acceptable and a part of good business practices, then, as far as sanitation is concerned, you have been poorly trained. There are a lot of fantastic chefs out there who are unemployed and will never work in this professional again because they made someone sick with their half baked notions of sanitation.

Cut corners with your ingredients, if you must. But, never cut corners when it comes to the health and sanitation of your kitchens or the well being of your guests. This is a cardinal rule that must never be broken.

drirene likes this.
  4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As routine not during service hours. Emergency anytime. As an owner I cleaned the restroom when I had to. Get off your high horse and do the job requested or find another job. Maybe you should not be in the business of serving people. I was taught a chef should be humble, cleaning a restroom will keep you that way.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Being hired as a Chef, just the statement alone would bother me. When I first started reading, the first thing that popped into my head was (unorganized!) Pitching in is something else. I view everyone as a job description with a number attached. If I've got 3-12's, 2-15's, and 1-25,, I'm not making/losing money every time I pull a 25. and leave the 12's. It ain't rocket surgery!
    BTW, loved the one referencing a surgeon to a chef.LMAO you can have a second grade education and prosper in this industry.

6. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Indeed. Some of the dumbest people I have ever met have a lot of framed paper on their walls. Some of the smartest people I have ever met never stepped foot in college or even finished high school.

To be clear, my analogy was not to draw a parallel between the work and education of a surgeon and the work and education of a cook. Rather, it was an allegorical exaggeration aimed at emphasizing the importance of sanitation and cleanliness standards in the food industry; standards and practices that are all too often treated as secondary considerations, as proven by the very existence of this thread.

7. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, that's exactly what the OP did. And I hope he told them why.

8. Iain Ellis

Iain Ellis

Exp:
    20+
    I take responsibility for telephone orders and expedition of delivery orders at my place. The only person who doesn't touch food is the owner? I prepare and cook pizza, I do prep, mis en place, prepare receipts, deal with enquiries, stock control, make orders, etc. (My job is to take calls). If someone tells me to clean the toilet, their head will be in it!

halb likes this.
  9. capricciosa

capricciosa

Exp:
    I stated I turned the job down in my original post.

I serve people in a manner that is commiserate with my training and skills (ie. quality food).

Humility can also be expressed in how you treat others. It's all about attitude. Cleaning toilets has nothing to do with attitude or graciousness.

halb and foodpump like this.
  10. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I serve people in a manner that is commiserate with my training and skills (ie. quality food). It's all about attitude. You do have an attitude. I hope you training and skills will support it. Good luck in your endeavors. I think sometime humility comes with age and experience. It took me many years to get over my attitude.

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well, here's another way of looking at it:

Cook=$14.00/ hr.
    Server = $11.00/ hr.
    Dishwasher/busser = $10.00 hr.

No special skills or training needed to do the job, so why the cook to clean a toilet? No monetary advantage, no quality advantage.

Does this mean the server or bartender should clean the griddle or fryer if the cook does the bathrooms?

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cook=$14.00/ hr.
    Server = $11.00/ hr.
    Dishwasher/busser = $10.00 hr.

Smiling when encountering guests. No special skills or training needed to do the job, so why the cook to smile when encountering guests? No monetary advantage, no quality advantage.

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @sgsvirgil.
    I apologize if you felt the need to defend statement. Nothing at all intended. The second grade thing was something that was floating in the chemo brain clutter. I thought your comment was hysterical. I just finished up one of those senior activities where you are on call to help first responders. As a perk, they let us sit in on a surgery.
    I agree. The surgical nurse was so intent and very focused on sanitation. Then the CALL. The surgeon is on the property! It was very well choreographed. I don't know id this is the norm, but the surgeon has two assistants for his gloves. He then does this pirouette to don his gown.
    That's why i mentioned it. Could you imagine if he had to stop and go clean a toilet?
    I been hangin around for years, nobody take me serious.
    I can just picture me asking the anesthesiologist,"hey, give me a little shot, I'm starting to feel pain" and him or her responding,"hang on, he's in the third stall, he's almost done"! sorry

drirene and sgsvirgil like this.
  14. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    No worries. I wasn't offended. :)

After I read your comment, I went back and re-read my comment and could see how someone could get the idea that I was trying to compare the skills and education of a surgeon with being a cook. That's why I added the explanation to give my comment some context. :)

But, this entire thread pretty much underscores why I make it a point never to eat in any restaurants except on my wife's birthday and our anniversary. lol!

15. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Customer: What's taking so long with my entree?
    Server: Sorry, we're a little backed up right now. Somebody barfed all over the ladies room. Our line cook should be back preparing your meal as soon as he gets it cleaned up.

drirene and foodpump like this.
  16. capricciosa

capricciosa

Exp:
    So far, they have. In the future, who knows? I'm always extremely polite and cordial and try to be considerate of others, but I do admit that I can be a bit self-assured. Some say attitude, some say swagger, just a matter of perspective I guess.

From my personal experience, I've found grocery store delis/cafeterias to have the highest standards in sanitation and employee hygiene. Not always excellent food, usually crap dumped out of a can, but more sanitary than any restaurant I've worked in or toured for a prospective job. I remember one time when I worked for [major retailer] and we got a 97 on our health inspection. The next day, a whole team of corporate gurus drove 4 hours to our store to find out why we "failed" our inspection and re-trained the entire fresh department.

17. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    lol seems to me saying that to a customer would be far worse than
    a line cook cleaning up a bathroom mess.

18. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ahh, yeah. You probably wouldn't want that piece of information to get around.

19. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I hope the OP prints off this thread and takes it to management......Good luck

drirene likes this.
  20. maxs

maxs

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Call me a primadonna, but after scrubbing toilets, mopping floors, and washing dishes for 30 years, what is wrong with letting some 19 year old do it. Obviously if there's nobody else around to do any of those things, I'll get down in the trenches. Does Elon Musk, Bill Gates, or any other CEO do the toilets? Are there no perks for clawing your way to the top.? Also, is that the smartest use of time for the ostensibly most skilled employee in the restaurant?