Chefs and food writers on a first-name basis

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Jul 29, 2005.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've noticed that some of us refer to certain chefs and food writers by their first-names, assuming that everyone will know who we're talking about.
    For instance:

"Julia" for Julia Child
    "Jacques" for Jacques Pepin
    "Marcella" for Marcella Hazan

Calling M.F.K. Fisher "Mary Frances" just seems too familiar (unless I'd had the great good fortune of knowing her well--don't I wish :D )

I guess Food TV has made Mario Batali "Mario" and the same for "Ming," (Ming Tsai) but somehow those don't carry the same weight for me.

Anyone have any others?

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    For me, there's Lidia (Bastianich). For some, there's Emeril, but I just can't bear to watch his show very often.

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Cape = Cape Chef :look: :D

Calvin = Calvin Trillin; aka "Bud" if you want to seem really chummy, which I don't think would please him AT ALL.

For some, "Martin" (= Yan, right, Panini? ;) )

And let us not forget Rocco -- even though the rest of the world seems to have forgotten him (except maybe where The Restaurant is in reruns).

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Roger on that last comment, Suzanne. I'm pretty sure that's who I saw at Alinea in Chicago last month, but I hadn't seen his face for a long time so I wasn't completely sure. :D

Some refer to "Martha", but I'm not one of them.... :p

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Doesn't Roc have a radio show? Anyone had the pleasure to meet Mario? I was speechless